Indivision ECS Vs Indivision ECS V2

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi

I recently got an Indivision ECS V2 to use on my A2000. In addition to the manual, I also watched a couple of videos on youtube and saw that the card is slightly different from mine. In the sense that the one that appeared in the videos had also soldered the socket to put the Denise chip back in, which mine doesn't have. I also read in the manual that Denise is not needed as long as you are using the Indivision. It will be a feature of the V2 version I guess. In my box I found the Indivision ECS V2 with the ground wire and a socket in addition. Could someone enlighten me about my version and what is different from the previous one?

Thanks

G.

• Indivision ECS V2 came out in 2018 - nine years after the V1 version. The big difference is that V2 does not requrie the Denise any more, and that it has a scaler built-in. It supports much higer output frequencies, the config tool is much easier to use, it can be configured "per Amiga screenmode", and it has the possibility to sanc it's Vertical frequency with the Amiga's vertical sync, completely getting rid of any tearing.

In essence, the new thing does almost all that V1 did, plus a lot more with better user experience. The one thing that V2 does not do is stacking two into the same computer - this was possible with V1, but we never had software that made use of it, so that feature was dropped.

• ok, but in the box I found an empty socket too, what's the use?

Isn't that mentioned in the manual? It's for raising the product a little higher, and for making installation a little safer especially if you have an A500 or A2000. You may not need it if you have the A604n, as there's already a high-quality turned socket on the board.

• ok, but in the box I found an empty socket too, what's the use?

Thank you

G.

Sur mon amiga 500 il y avait des parasites blancs à 20 minutes d'utilisation si je ne mettais pas le rehausseur.

on my amiga 500 there were white parasites at 20 minutes of use if I did not put the socket.

• Indivision ECS V2 è uscito nel 2018, nove anni dopo la versione V1. La grande differenza è che V2 non richiede più Denise e che ha uno scaler integrato. Supporta frequenze di uscita molto più elevate, lo strumento di configurazione è molto più facile da usare, può essere configurato "per screenmode Amiga", e ha la possibilità di sancire la sua frequenza verticale con la sincronizzazione verticale dell'Amiga, eliminando completamente ogni tearing.

In sostanza, la novità fa quasi tutto ciò che ha fatto V1, oltre a molto di più con una migliore esperienza utente. L'unica cosa che V2 non fa è impilare due nello stesso computer - questo era possibile con V1, ma non abbiamo mai avuto software che lo usasse, quindi quella funzione è stata abbandonata.

In terms of performance, is the emulated denise of the Indivision ECS V2 better of the real denise usable in the Indivision ECS V1?

Thanks

• Indivision ECS V2 can be used in place of the original denise, and it will fully replace it. We do have one open support case where a program does not display the whole screen, but that's going to be fixed with the next update.

There are no "new" features in comparison to the real denise - we never intended to add graphics modes.

I don't get the part of your question regarding Indivision ECS V1 - that product is not made any more, and it's been out of support for several years.

• We do have one open support case where a program does not display the whole screen, but that's going to be fixed with the next update.

Does an update mean a firmware update?

I don't get the part of your question regarding Indivision ECS V1 - that product is not made any more, and it's been out of support for several years.

What I mean is whether the performances of the emulated denise are less than or equal to that of the original denise. That is, does the Indivision ECS V2 have its own chip that does the same thing as the original denise? Is emulation a hardware emulation? I have seen for example. that the ECS functionality is activated by the supplied software. I know that Indivision ECS V1 is no longer distributed, but my question was, does V1 work better with original denise or does V2 work better with emulated denise?

• Does an update mean a firmware update?

Yes - it's a simple flash update that can be applied with the config tool. Opening the computer is not required.

my question was, does V1 work better with original denise or does V2 work better with emulated denise?

I'd say it equal. The emulated Denise (which was also in V1, but only outputting to VGA) is so accurate that it took twelve years to find a program that does not work right. It's of course a hardware emulation inside the FPGA on the product. So in essence, the word "emulation" is not properly chosen, as that always implies software. The better word would probably be "hardware replica".

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.