RapidRoad broke when USB stick touched the RapidRoad port

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

My RapidRoad installed in Amiga 1200 stopped working (and LED stopped shining) the moment USB flash drive touched the USB port of the RapidRoad - this USB flash drive has rubber casing.

Until this happened RapidRoad functioned properly for some time, and I used it to transfer files from PC using that same USB flash drive.

I followed instructions for assembly of RapidRoad and all went well during installation.

RapidRoad was properly grounded as is described in the manual.

My RapidRoad is still under 2 year warranty period.

What should I do now?

Regards

• I'm using Electroware PSU A500 EU bought on ebay.

Big mistake. That PSU is known for blowing up modern hardware, because it has extremely bad regulation. The MeanWell chassis in that PSU is good, but not suitable for Amiga computers. Read more about PSUs in our FAQ.

The bad news is that the vendor most likely does not have product liability insurance, so you'll have to pay for the repair on your own. The good news is that we have lots of practise repairing these units, as these Electroware PSUs have been blowing up RapidRoads for a long time, and we've even had the vendor here on the forum admitting that he doesn't know what to do about the shortcomings of his product.

Enough of that - just pack up the RapidRoad and ship it to us after reading this article. Just promise to never ever combine iComp hardware with that known-bad PSU any more.

• Hello,

To be more precise, USB flash drive didn't get pluggend into the USB port, it only touched the outer metal frame of the USB port, and if I wasn't clear about something then you should have asked for explanation before jumping to conclusion about the bad quality PSUs.

Can power supply really be the reason for static discharge here?

Anyway, RapidRoad should have ESD protection.

RapidRoad was installed according to the instructions in the manual, ground cable was mounted with the screw near the floppy drive that holds the motherboard.

Reading this forum, I see that you conclude that the reason for so many broken RapidRoads is Electroware PSU, and you conclude it from statistics, because most of the RapidRoad users had Electroware PSU.

Well, that statistics can also mean that most of the Amiga 1200 users today are using Electroware PSU. Also that statistic can point to the fact that RapidRoad breaks often.

Everything else in my A1200 works great and doesn't break, only RapidRoad broke.

RapidRoad that I've bought has "Full 2 year warranty". There was no mention about full 2 year warranty with exception of RapidRoads in A1200 with Electroware PSU.

Making excuses after something happens is no good business.

So now I own a broken RapidRoad that I paid 127 eur plus ~20 eur for postage. And now I need to send it back to you and spend more money on postage and what's more you refuse to acknowledge my "Full 2 year warranty".

Regards

• To be more precise, USB flash drive didn't get pluggend into the USB port, it only touched the outer metal frame of the USB port, and if I wasn't clear about something then you should have asked for explanation before jumping to conclusion about the bad quality PSUs.

You were absolutely clear, and I am absolutely sure that proper grounding and shielding, along with a high-frequency DC-DC converter would have taken the hit of the static discharge with no problem. We've had too much trouble with MeanWell-based PSUs already.

Can power supply really be the reason for static discharge here?

No, it is not the reason, but it also let a dip/spike happen on the Vcc line. This causes the Xilinx CPLD to have an SCR latch-up. It even happens with Electroware PSUs if you don't hot-plug; you switch on, everything works, you launch the Poseidon stack, it applies power to the USB ports and the Vcc line dips below safe regions. Coming up to 5V again, the Xilinx chip is already in SCR-Latchup.

The makers of PSUs have been informed of this shortcoming, and we even had one of them post on this forum - clearly showing with their statements that they have no education in electrical engineering.

Anyway, RapidRoad should have ESD protection.

It has. It withstands the human body model with 2kV.

RapidRoad that I've bought has "Full 2 year warranty". There was no mention about full 2 year warranty with exception of RapidRoads in A1200 with Electroware PSU.

That's what the box says, yes. Europe requires two years, divided into six months "no questions asked" and 18 months "reversal of the burden of proof". I might add that the box is nothing that you have seen before you have ordered, so what counts is the product description, the terms and of course laws. If you want to boil it down to that, please send the unit back, and I'll refund it.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.