ACA-500 and A1208 V2 8MB FastRAM Expansion not working

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • So I have been using the A1208 in my A1200s and it works fine. I think I have the V2 that I listed in the title. I bought it this summer from amigastore. Here the other day I wanted to try it in my ACA-500 (the original ACA-500). Seems like the ACA-500 did not detect it at all. I am using the latest firmware for the ACA-500. On Amigastore's website this memory expansion mentions it should work on A1200, ACA-500 or ACA-500 Plus.

This same ACA-500 works just fine with my fully unlocked ACA-1221. What could be the cause? Do we need another firmware update for the ACA-500 for it to work with this memory card?

• This same ACA-500 works just fine with my fully unlocked ACA-1221. What could be the cause? Do we need another firmware update for the ACA-500 for it to work with this memory card?

The ACA1221 is a CPU card, and the ACA500 is built to accept that. A plain memory card will "speak" 68020, but there is "only" a 68ec000 on the ACA500 that has a different bus interface than the 68020.

Therefore, I have a hard time believing that an 8M memory expansion is advertised to be working with the ACA500, not only because of the different processor and bus interface, but also because of the amount of memory that's already on the ACA500 - there is just not enough address space to see yet another 8M of memory (ACA500 has quite some free space, but not 8M continuous).

Just send it back - I'm sure that Amigastore will refund you and fix the product description (can't speak for them, of course, but I'd expect them to treat you in a fair way).

• The ACA1221 is a CPU card, and the ACA500 is built to accept that. A plain memory card will "speak" 68020, but there is "only" a 68ec000 on the ACA500 that has a different bus interface than the 68020.

Therefore, I have a hard time believing that an 8M memory expansion is advertised to be working with the ACA500, not only because of the different processor and bus interface, but also because of the amount of memory that's already on the ACA500 - there is just not enough address space to see yet another 8M of memory (ACA500 has quite some free space, but not 8M continuous).

Just send it back - I'm sure that Amigastore will refund you and fix the product description (can't speak for them, of course, but I'd expect them to treat you in a fair way).

Thanks for the answer. It is indeed listed to work with A1200, ACA-500 and ACA 500 Plus. You can just go and look at their webshop. I will not send it back because I bought it for use with one of my A1200s originally. Then I just wanted to try it on my ACA-500 because it was listed on their webshop to work with ACA-500/ACA 500 Plus. So no worry. But they should indeed fix their description because there might be other people who buy it for use with their ACA-500/ACA 500 Plus setups.

I added a snapshot from their webshop that shows the description for this memory card

• I added a snapshot from their webshop that shows the description for this memory card

I have a hard time believing that this has been tested, especially because the local bus of the ACA500/ACA500plus is not even publicly documented. Please double-check with the vendor. I can't help here.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.