Rescue disc vs. rescue Startup-Sequence

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I believe that all AGA machines now days are running some sort of HDD (real or from CF, DOM, SD....). In this context you might provide an option (automatic or manual) to execute batch file or line from Startu-Sequence for the same effect eg. if user holds a mouse button or certain key during boot. I find this more practical than separate rescue disc.;)

• You should be able to copy the required command line from the startup-sequence of the rescue disk. The concept of a rescue disk is inherited from Indivision ECS V2, where it was indeed "more necessary" as a garbled flash would disable both monitors and mouse input at the same time.

I would not like the idea of having something in the regular startup-sequence that alters the Indivision flash contents without user interaction. I do like the level of "user interaction" that's required to "insert a disk" - either a physical one or mounting with a floppy emulator. It's really nothing that can happen "by accident".

Usability decisions like this are made by Timm - if he finds a good reason to deviate from the rescue disk concept, I won't hold him back implementing it.

• If you can connect a monitor to the native display without hassle, then you do not even need the rescue disk for the IndivisionAGAmk3. For regular use, the config tool should be absolutely enough. If you think it's worth the effort, you can add the following lines to your S:user-startup:

Code
    1. c:TestRMB
    2. if warn
    3. echo "About to flash IndivisionAGAmk3 firmware in 10 seconds..."
    4. ; c:beep
    5. wait 10 sec
    6. ; c:beep
    7. c:indivisionagamk3-flashtool flash devs:indivisionagamk3-firmware
    8. endif

You can find TestRMB in http://aminet.net/util/misc/MouseTest.lha.

From the IndivisionAGAmk3 archive, copy flashtool to c:indivisionagamk3-flashtool and firmware to devs:indivisionagamk3-firmware. To be a bit more on the safe side, find some tool to produce an audible beep, and comment in the appropriate lines.

• If you can connect a monitor to the native display without hassle, then you do not even need the rescue disk for the IndivisionAGAmk3. For regular use, the config tool should be absolutely enough. If you think it's worth the effort, you can add the following lines to your S:user-startup:

Code
    1. c:TestRMB
    2. if warn
    3. echo "About to flash IndivisionAGAmk3 firmware in 10 seconds..."
    4. ; c:beep
    5. wait 10 sec
    6. ; c:beep
    7. c:indivisionagamk3-flashtool flash devs:indivisionagamk3-firmware
    8. endif

You can find TestRMB in http://aminet.net/util/misc/MouseTest.lha.

From the IndivisionAGAmk3 archive, copy flashtool to c:indivisionagamk3-flashtool and firmware to devs:indivisionagamk3-firmware. To be a bit more on the safe side, find some tool to produce an audible beep, and comment in the appropriate lines.

This is how I did it:

Code
    1. C:GetMouseInput LOCAL
    2. IF $MouseInput EQ 1
    3. Unset MouseInput
    4. C:flashtool flash c:FIRMWARE
    5. EmdCli >NIL:
    6. EndIF

In any case I find warnings unnecessary because screen is black (out of range) ;) However, my idea was to offer to users option like this as a choice when creating rescue disk

• I find it important to warn the user because you could accidentally press the right mouse button. The 10 seconds delay gives you the opportunity to issue a reset. Ok, taking note of adding a sequence like this as an installation option. I'll think about it. I find this a bit too complicated to explain. Inserting a disk when the display has gone black seems more straightforward to communicate. Also a rescue disk survives "experiments" on the OS installation.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.