Today Buddha Died :-(

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I have been using the Buddha IDE device for almost 1 year now with great satisfaction. Last night, after along break, I fired up the A2000 and noticed that drives connected to the Buddha were no longer available from workbench. I reboot and checkout the expansions in early startup. The buddha is not listed as one of the cards. I reseated the card and also tried the card i different slots. I also tried removing all components so that the buddha was the only expansion. But alas, it doesn't appear to work any more. The device is no longer listed under "expansions" in early startup. I have double checked tha J2 and J3 are open (I use only cables, not DOMs).

Might it be that my poor Buddha has passed away? Would it be worth replacing the resistor (there is an arrow pointing to a resister with the words "Replace if you plugged the card in the wrong way" or something similar).

Is there any point to attempt to write new firmware to the card?

Can I have the card service or, in the worst case replaced (I would buy a new one if the warranty is finished).

Something else I should try?

• Might it be that my poor Buddha has passed away? Would it be worth replacing the resistor (there is an arrow pointing to a resister with the words "Replace if you plugged the card in the wrong way" or something similar).

If the card has not been installed the wrong way round, there's no point in replacing the resistor. It only burns if you install it reversed.

Is there any point to attempt to write new firmware to the card?

Yes, that's the first thing I'd try. The command line flash tool has an "initial" option that will look for the card in a reserved space to program the flash chip. We've had cases before where flash ROMs lost their contents. We yet have to investigate how this happens, but my current hypothesis is that high ripple of ageing PSUs is stressing the flash chips.

• I tried the "initial" option but it just outputs: Write error address $0800. Error flashing rom - Possibly write protection on?

I followed the instructions for this (turning the computer on while holding the right mouse button). But the result is the same.

• Forgot to mention: This will only work on A2000s, but not in machines with a "big buster" like A3000 and A4000. You didn't mention what type of machine you're using. Edit: Yes, you did mention it in your initial post.

Looks like we need to repair that here. Please send your unit back after reading this article.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.