New MKIII AGA with ripped off capacitor - OUCH

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi all,

I'm a happy buyer of a brand new MKIII AGA. It arrived on Monday (super fast, thanks!), but I had time to mount it only yesterday.

Package was solid and not voided in any manner, but as soon as I took the board from its plastic wrap (using extreme care) I heared something rolling on my desk: it was a capacitor.

I did a quick check on the MKIII board and found from where it was. Fortunately, the capacitor seems to be intact, but not sure for its pads (picture).

I also noticed a small dent on the PCB, next to the capacitor pads (picture).

I'm a bit disappointed for the accident but mainly because i still have to wait in order to play with my A1200 :)

No one to blame. Shit happens :(

It looks like I can solder the capacitor back in place, safely, but I don't want to void the warranty with this operation.

Due to these defects, the board has never been mounted nor powered. Don't know if is better/preferable/applicable a full replacement.

Ask for more pictures if needed.

TIA

/D

• The pads appear to have survived. Please also mention the warranty ID, so we can do a quick cross-check with our QC photos.

What size of antistatic bag was the unit packed in? We did change to a bigger size last week, as we've had one case of a ripped-off part before. We found the small antistatic bag to be a possible cause, and changed to a bag size that fills the complete box. Further, the additional adapter boards are now packed outside the bag, while the flicker fixer is inside. This has been the instructions all along, but one employee changed it because he thought it's better to put the additional boards inside, so they don't rattle when you shake the box. Not a bad thought, but too dangerous to the flicker fixer.

If you have the skill and tools to put the capacitor back in place, feel free to do so. I can add pictures to our database of your repair, so your warranty won't be voided.

• Thanks Jens for the quick reply.

This is the picture of the plastic bag. It is about 15cm wide and contains all the boards.

I think your guess is right, one of the daughter-boards dancing within the bag could be the culprit.

Here my warranty tag.

I will do the solder job later this evening or tomorrow and post the pictures as soon as done

Thanks

/D

• Thanks for the pictures - that's a "small" bag, before the change in packing instructions. Although this is not good news for you, it is for us, as it's just a confirmation that the change in packing instructions was really the right thing to do.

Please keep us updated.

• Job's done. Not perfect but looks ok to me: ripped-off capacitor was the topmost (leftmost)

Powered up and nothing exploded. Different resolutions have been tested with ScreenMode tool. Nothing to report.

Still hard to explain to my wife that I bought "something broken" from the internet and I needed to fix it myself with no refund. LOL.

Btw, I'm very happy if this could be of any help to you guys and the rest of the community.

Thanks for the support!

/D

• Just checked - you're from Italy! For some reason, I thought you're from NZ, and I totally got the idea of having this fixed by yourself to avoid long shipping delays and crossing customs borders.

Anyway, I intended to give you a refund for the saved shipping expense we've had, which will hopefully confirm to your wife that we're worth returning to :-)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.