Request for ACA1233n info...

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi All,

I'm thinking about a potential upgrade from an ACA1221lc to an ACA1233n, and am trying to weigh up the likely changes. I wanted to ask a few questions so I can figure out what I'll be gaining, and to see if I might lose out on any features I already have with the ACA1221lc. My ACA1221lc runs happily at 40MHz at the moment, so that's what I'm comparing with.

Obviously the ACA1233n has a lot more memory and a faster CPU but I guess that must mean more power draw - should it still be okay to run it with an Indivision AGA Mk3 and a RapidRoad in the machine at the same time?

I have a new CA-PSU, so I'm hoping that should be fine for the job?

Are there any heat concerns with the 55MHz version, other than the trap door? The case I have is one of the new ones with a vented trap door, should that allow enough air to circulate?

How fast the clockport ACA1233n is compared to the one for the RapidRoad on the ACA1221lc? Am I likely to notice any speed decreases or increases?

Likewise with the IDE, am I likely to notice any changes to the speed or compatability? I currently use a CF card as an HDD - although I'd like to upgrade to something a bit faster if I can find something suitable (no room for an old skool hdd with the Mk3 in place) and an appropriate adapter.

Is the config for the ACA1233n stored in flash, configured during startup, or a bit of both? Are there a bunch of other libraries that need installing to configure the MMU etc.?

Sorry for all of the daft questions, I've tried to read up as much as I can but I didn't fully understand everything, so I thought I'd ask on here. :)

BTW, thanks for the Mk3 v1.5 update yesterday - I now have crisp 96kHz audio coming out my TV in Workbench and also in most games, superb!

Cheers! :)

• Obviously the ACA1233n has a lot more memory and a faster CPU but I guess that must mean more power draw - should it still be okay to run it with an Indivision AGA Mk3 and a RapidRoad in the machine at the same time?

Yes, the CA-PSU is fine for that configuration.

Are there any heat concerns with the 55MHz version, other than the trap door? The case I have is one of the new ones with a vented trap door, should that allow enough air to circulate?

That's a good choice - the other alternative would have been to just leave the cover open.

Likewise with the IDE, am I likely to notice any changes to the speed or compatability? I currently use a CF card as an HDD - although I'd like to upgrade to something a bit faster if I can find something suitable (no room for an old skool hdd with the Mk3 in place) and an appropriate adapter.

The ACA1221lc already has an IDE speeder, but the ACA1233n-55 is a lot faster, and also accelerates writing, where the ACA1221lc only accelerates reading. Yes, you will notice a difference, but I would not expect any incompatibility. If all else fails, just choose a slightly slower speed.

Is the config for the ACA1233n stored in flash, configured during startup, or a bit of both? Are there a bunch of other libraries that need installing to configure the MMU etc.?

That's the only point where the ACA1233n is "weaker": It does not have a flash or EEPROM where settings are stored. The ACAtool stores all settings in the first line of the startup-sequence, which is completely transparent for you - no need to fiddle in the startup-sequence, the tool does it all for you.

MMU libraries can, but don't have to be installed. The older libraries are also not needed. Just use the latest ACAtool, it's all you need.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.