A few config questions from developers please

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Dear Icomp,

Thank you for this device, it is absolutely sensational. The GUI is ok but can be quite confusing.

Question:

* When configuring game resolution settings, I found this process quite confusing -

- I was not sure what resolution in the GUI related to game resolution, which is something like 320x400? So I loaded some games and noticed that in the indivision watermark area, it would tell me: 800x600 PAL - 800x600 VESA. So I am reading this as: Indivision is sensing the game resolution as 800x600 and is choosing the suitable 800x600 VESA profile?

- Okay - that doesn't make sense to me, but okay, it thinks games are 800x600. I fine-tune the 800x600 VESA profile to my liking and get all games centered, but VSYNC doesn't work.

- I experiment by choosing a higher res, 1280x1024 EDID, this works very well and looks even sharper for games. VSYNC also seems to be working.

- I experiment with my monitor native res, 1600x1200 EDID, but the display cannot sync properly and keeps flashing on and off, although this is from the EDID? Strange.

So why does the MK3 think the input resolution from games is 800x600, why not 320x240 etc? And is it possible to use my monitor native res of 1600x1200 with VSYNC, with display sync properly.

Monitor is: NEC 2090UXi, using HDMI>DVI.

Cheers.

• - I experiment with my monitor native res, 1600x1200 EDID, but the display cannot sync properly and keeps flashing on and off, although this is from the EDID? Strange.

It may not like the HDMI Audio part in the signal. Please tick the box "DVI mode" in the advanced settings, and also check your HDMI cable - for 1600x1200, you need a high-quality cable. We've had reports from other customers that they solved problems like yours by using a better cable.

So why does the MK3 think the input resolution from games is 800x600, why not 320x240 etc?

It's not sensing the resolution, but merely displaying the name for a setting that has been chosen. You configure that in the config tool all on your own.

Indivision AGA MK3 has multiple configuration slots, and they are chosen by criteria that you select; mainly the number of lines, but also the X-resolution (lores, hires or SHires) as sub-criterion. You then give a name to that configuration slot, and instead of naming it Herold, Jessy or Maria, you might as well call it "800x600" if you have selected that output mode.

• Okay I will test the DVI option and check.

In regards to it not sensing resolution, I am still confused in one regard.

Upon first installing, default settings, I had no idea what profile was being used for games. As I mentioned, I found out it was using the 800x600 profile as default for games (by looking at the OSD). This part I do not understand, could you elaborate? How did it choose 800x600 profile, why was this the chosen profile. Understanding this fact will help me understand the entire system and how it works (I have read the docs)

Thank you,

Steve

• In regards to it not sensing resolution, I am still confused in one regard.

Upon first installing, default settings, I had no idea what profile was being used for games. As I mentioned, I found out it was using the 800x600 profile as default for games (by looking at the OSD). This part I do not understand, could you elaborate? How did it choose 800x600 profile, why was this the chosen profile. Understanding this fact will help me understand the entire system and how it works (I have read the docs)

The point that is needed for understanding: On a mode switch, the mode list is evaluated from top to bottom. The first mode that matches the criteria will be used. The criteria are (mainly) the number of lines on the screen, and secondarily the 'Select on' criterion. The reason why 'Pre 800x600 PAL' is selected in the defaults is simply that there are no other modes enabled in the list above that match its line number and 'Select on' criterion. As you can see, PAL has 313 lines on the screen. So the mode matcher falls through the whole list until it reaches the last entry.

Our idea was that there should be robust catch-all PAL and NTSC modes, as they are supposedly needed most often. We further assumed that people would like to overlay the robust defaults (mainly for PAL) with more specialized modes that we cannot guarantee to function on the wide variety of monitors. So we sorted some mode presets ('Pre 640x512 PAL', 'Pre 720x548 PAL', 'Pre PAL Auto+VSync', 'Pre 736x548 PAL VSync') to the top of the list, but disabled them. So the user can rely on the default, but additionally select and try these modes using 'Test/Adjust' in order to see if they work for them, and then enable more specialized modes that are to their liking - because when enabled, they match earlier in the list.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.