MK3 for A1200 - 'flashtool info' still says v1.0

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I just received and fitted my MK3 - what rapid delivery and what a lovely result! It disagreed badly on the MULTISYNC monitor mode I was using on my old Microvitek to get 800x600, lost every second pixels per scanline, but I moved to PAL SuperHiRes at 1280x530 and all is well on my 55" OLED.

I found the occasional blink and flicker so checked here, then went to download the IndivisionAGAmk3-1.4.lha update package, and after the usual adventures in transferring files when you haven't touched your Amiga for many years (eventually I found my old CF+PCMCIA adapter and rediscovered that I had to reduce my RAM expansion board from 8meg to 2meg or the CF slot is disabled!), I unpacked it and launched the Prefs panel.

First, the menu to apply firmware that is mentioned in the doc at http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Indivision_AGA_MK3/doc -

"First of all we recommend to visit the 'Firmware' menu and to create a rescue disk."

I can't find this Firmware menu. I'm clearly either blind or looking in the wrong place. The docs are missing a line saying which tool to run for it so I'm only assuming it's the "IndivisionAGAmk3" prefs panel. What am I missing? I would like to make a rescue disk before I get into tuning for my screen. I see others here have done so, so it's definitely a problem at my end

/Edit: Ok! I found the "right-click on most of the MK3 Prefs panel" menu flyout. I blame my long-rusted familiarity with Workbench paradigms ^^Might be worth saying 'right-click menu' in the docs?

No problem, I fall back to the command line. 'flashtool info' wedged the Amiga - static screen, mouse not moving - and I needed to reset.

Next boot, 'flashtool flash firmware' ran fine.

'flashtool info' now works, but returns a version of 1.0 for the firmware, with flash sig: 53464450. Is that right? I was expecting v1.4. The firmware file is 175,982 bytes and dated 13th August.

Afterwards I have run the firmware update from the MK3 Prefs also, and that says it succeeds but 'flashtool info' still shows the same version and sig as above.

• The firmware and flash tool have different version numbers. So it's expected that firmware version number is not identical with the config tool version number. We might change that in the future, but for now, while the config tool isn't even feature-complete, there's no point in creating confusion between our own developers :-)

• It's more complicated than that.

The flashtool reports its own version, which is not necessarily in sync with the config tool's version.

Also it reports the flash chip's Id and version, this version is currently 1.0. So we have four versions:

- 'IndivisionAGAmk3' config tool: version is currently 1.x

- flashtool: version is also 1.x, similar, but not necessarily the same as the config tool :-)

- FPGA firmware: version is in ISO-date format, e.g. 20200812

- flash: this version is currently always 1.0.

• As feedback for developers I also suffered some frustration as I had no idea how to flash the firmware in the GUI. I used the shell method instead, which was a little more scary but worked. No where is there a mention of right click menu in the docs, it would have saved me some stress :)

But overall thank you all for your hard work, I am exceptionally pleased and Icomp has never let me down (fairly new to Amigas, have 1233n Accel and now agamk3)

• Thanks Jens, Timm. All your work on this is so appreciated - I've been able to fully enjoy my A1200 again for the first time in years, I can't begin to say how much fun I've had getting back with my old friend. At least EU170, which is fortunate!

Please just throw these into the backlog rather than worry about them now, but here are thoughts from my user point of view for the command-line flashtool (and as applicable to the MK3 Prefs too):

• Very useful: Improve 'info' to also give the installed FPGA firmware version so that a user can see what is in place.
    • Useful: Backup the current settings config to a file, which can be pushed back later or shared.
    • Nice to have: Read the currently installed firmware out to a file, so a user can do their own reversion when testing a new firmware release.
    • And of course specify "right click menu" in the docs, as Steve already said. Or move the few right-click menu functions to buttons? There doesn't seem any particular reason to hide them in a menu.

But of course everything is up to you, please go ahead and make the best products you can - you're doing a wonderful job.

• Useful: Backup the current settings config to a file, which can be pushed back later or shared.

This is already in the config tool. The file is even human-readable, so you can extract single screenmode entries with a text editor and share them in a forum if you like.

And of course specify "right click menu" in the docs

The term used in most Amiga software is "drop-down menu". However, the general term "menu" has always been associated with the drop-down menus in Amiga software. It would be rather boring if each and every program would re-explain how to use Amiga menus. After all, we're working with a retro system, and that's how the Amiga developers thought a program should be handled. While the config tool already guides the user by enabling and disabling buttons under certain conditions (which is really complex!), the look&feel of the computer shall not be changed. We should not attempt to imitate the look&feel of a modern smart phone :-)

Or move the few right-click menu functions to buttons? There doesn't seem any particular reason to hide them in a menu.

The reason is that the tool shares a common code base with the Indivision ECS V2 config tool. That is supposed to work with an un-expanded A500 using NTSC non-interlace screen mode, limiting the window size much more than you are limited on an AGA system.

During development of the AGA MK3 flicker fixer, this code base has gained lots of subtle changes that guide the user, and these shall of course be available to Indivisino ECS V2 customers at some point. Breaking with the layout restriction would not let us back-port the changes, which would be really unfair, as the existing Indivision ECS V2 code base has reduced the cost of development for the AGA MK3 version considerably. I believe that such benefits should go both ways.

• Hi Jens, JamieV & me just suggested to specify where to find the firmware flash in the docs. Not to change your GUI. This is to reduce the stress of your users, and the stress of yourself when you have to answer questions in the forum. I hope you understand what we mean.

• Thank you for your suggestions, they are duly noted.

Please prefer the GUI, not the shell method, it's so much easier and less error-prone to flash the Firmware from the Pull-Down menu. Also when you click the "Flash" button in the GUI dialogue, the current configuration is automatically written back after flashing the firmware. When flashing using the commandline tool, a power cycle is likely needed and the configuration still needs to get written back.

You can already save a configuration using the menu item 'Project/Save As...' and load it later using 'Project/Open...'.

You can see the FPGA version in the OSD. For example, select a different Indivision mode and click 'Test/Adjust' to see it.

(Ok, it might be a good idea to produce the OSD always on entering the Test/Adjust screen.)

• No problem - suggestions are welcome, but of course we can't fulfill each and every wish. Documentation must stay readable, handling must stay "Amiga-like", and any change must remain consistent with the overall concept, as there's quite some thought in it - more than it may look at first sight.

So let me make clear that I wasn't trying to fend off "any" change of the config tool - I was merely explaining the limits of possible changes, as we are not only looking at one, but two products (AGA MK3 and ECS V2). If you don't already own an Indivision ECS V2, this explanation is really required, otherwise you don't understand the limit in window size.

I do admit that the long text in the Wiki could use some illustrations - these may make clear(er) how the flicker fixer works, and what the settings do. I guess that illustrating the location of a setting in a block diagram will make it easier for customers to understand what a certain setting does. I need to talk to Timm about that - the config tool is his baby, and he's the GUI expert in the company.

• Yes, screenshots are needed in the documentation!

I need to install a tool that handles the pull down menus asynchronously, so that I can take screenshots from them...

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.