Colours Suddenly Changed During Use and Now Look Wrong

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I previously wrote about being concerned that there was too much heat on the Mk3 and that on occasion, the screen would blackout for a second. And that this problem happened increasingly with use until I would leave the Amiga 1200 off for some time (to cool down). Today I was using my A1200 again and suddenly, while using it, the screen switch to take a blue tinge. I power cycled the A1200 but the blue tinge remained. I removed the Mk3 and reconnected an old external RGB to HDMI adapter I was using. The colours look yellowish.

I have been reassured on this forum that the heat is not an issue but my fear now is that it really is. The colours are for sure not correct anymore. I am attaching 3 images which show the normal colours I had before, the colours I have with the Mk3 and additionally what it looks like now through the RGB->HDMI converter. The picture where the colours are normal was taking with a HDMI capture device on the 26 Jul. The other two are take today with the same capture device.

If it is true that the excessive heat on the MK3 isn't an issue, what might the issue be? My Amiga 1200 is recapped. Could one of the new capacitors have prematurely died or some other component? I know the A1200 isn't young anymore, so I can believe that another component has simply succumbed to old age. But I would appreciate if some advice could be given as to what the problem might be. Right now I have the feeling that the MK3's excessive heat has broken something on the A1200.

• Could you please take a picture of your main board, so we can see what chip revisions you have? Also, the type of power supply you're using is most interesting.

• So the PSU I bought from amigastore.eu. They have a different version now: (link to known-bad PSU removed). This isn't exactly the same one as you can see from the included image.

Many thanks for your answer on my question in the other thread. The detail is appreciated.

• They have a different version now:

No, that's not really different. It's still a MeanWell chassis, and it does not have cable drop compensation, and it still has bad cross-regulation trouble. I have clear eMails from amigastore.eu that they did not address the problems that I have pointed out years ago.

Before we continue - is your flicker fixer updated to the latest firmware that is included with the config tool V1.4? This fixes *lots* of timing problems.

• Before we continue - is your flicker fixer updated to the latest firmware that is included with the config tool V1.4?

Oh, I should mention, that I did apply the 1.4 firmware update.

I feel like the focus has fallen on the wrong points.

My key point/concern here is: It seems the MK3 broke my Amiga.

Did the PSU cause/contribute to this problem? If not, then it isn't relevant.

Did firmware version V1.3 cause the problem? If not, then firmware isn't relevant (or at least there isn't any reasoning in this thread to say so).

I wrote my question in a way that was open for you to say "No, the MK3 cannot cause colours to be incorrect because <insert reasoning here>".

From my perspective, as a simple user, my Amiga produced correct colours on the RGB port. I install the MK3, I notice lots of heat that wasn't there before. Despite being reassured that this isn't a problem, 1 week later the colours changed (the problem occurred). This changed happened before my eyes. Removing the Mk3 doesn't fix the problem (hence the A1200 is broken not the MK3).

I leave open the possibility that the A1200 is old and that it might have broken in this way anyway. The fact that the MK3 was newly installed when it broke can simply be a coincidence. I am asking you to convince me. I want to be convinced that the excess heat, which is now concentrated on the motherboard where the Mk3 is installed, isn't related to the malfunction I now experience. Judging by the number of people installing fans, I am not alone with this concern.

Please understand that my post comes from concern and is not from criticism. I hope you understand.

Many thanks!

• I feel like the focus has fallen on the wrong points.

My key point/concern here is: It seems the MK3 broke my Amiga.

Sorry - it totally escaped me that you're using the DB23, not the Indivision output.

What you're looking for now is a cold solderjoint between Lisa and the main board. I assume that the socket's pressure on the pins has increased the gap by enough to have a constant disconnection. All you need to do is to re-flow the pins of Lisa - it's mostly the corner pins. It's not a big deal and very common on our old computers, but of course requires a soldering iron, some flux and a steady hand.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.