C64 Reloaded MK2 - new user

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Good Morning All !

I'm a new, french owner of the C64 reloaded MK2; I bought a Chameleon 64 too, and I hope both can work together.

Right now, the MK2 is still in his box, but I have a few questions.

My project is to connect the MK2 to a "modern" monitor (no CRT) on S-VIDEO. I want to have the best possible picture (my original C64 is good, but I have some "column effect" - You know what I mean ? ;)

- Is there a "best VIC-II" video (PAL) Chip ? 6569R? or 8565 ?

- Can I mix any video Chip with any CPU, or should I always use a CPU6510 when I use a 6569 video Chip ?

- I plan to use both 6581 and 8580 sound chip : Is there a way to configure the MK2 to get some stereo effect ? (and is this a good idea ?)

- Is there any "serial number" on the board ? I wish to buy a "C64 reloaded serial sticker" for fun :). I also wish to put a C64 "Reloaded MK2 label" on the C64, but I only found the C64C version, not the C64 Breadbox ...

So if you have any answer to these existential questions :) or any (good) tips for beginners, I will be very happy to read you.

Best regards

Marc

• - Is there a "best VIC-II" video (PAL) Chip ? 6569R? or 8565 ?

That's a matter of taste. Both give a slightly different picture, and some prefer one, some the other. I guess it's mostly depending on what you got used to when you were young and the C64 was your only computer.

Since you also have a Chameleon, I'd suggest not to use the S-Video, but the VGA output of that. This will never display the "column effect" that you're describing.

- Can I mix any video Chip with any CPU,

Yes, you can.

- I plan to use both 6581 and 8580 sound chip : Is there a way to configure the MK2 to get some stereo effect ? (and is this a good idea ?)

There's quite a few possibilities you have - not just "Stereo" for real stereo tunes, but also live switching of audio between the two, when configured to be playing back through the same IO address. Just read the documentation - especially about the "remote control menu".

- Is there any "serial number" on the board ?

The warranty ID is kind of a serial number, as it's unique, but not a number counting up.

I also wish to put a C64 "Reloaded MK2 label" on the C64, but I only found the C64C version, not the C64 Breadbox ...

That's because we only have the tooling for the "flat" case of the C64. I wish I could also get my hands on the "breadbox" toolings, but so far, my efforts of finding them were not successful. BTW, new C64c cases are in the making, and Pixelwizard will of course continue to sell them.

• Many thanks for your fast answer.

Well, I'm a "breadbox lover" - as you said, it's the computer I played with when I was young, a long time ago.

The C64C looks too much like an Amiga to my taste ...

Best regards

Marc

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.