Toaster / P96 Screen corruption

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • To my knowledge, the PIV flicker fixer card is not capable of syncing with a Genlock'd Amiga. I remember that making the Toaster work with the very first incarnation of my flicker fixers (the white box external unit that was also called "Indivision", around 1999/2000), it was quite a hassle to make it work.

Since 15kHz NTSC video does not play a role any more in any TV station, and we're talking about a hardware limitation of a card that we didn't even make, please understand that there is no way we can fix this.

• The flicker fixer on the PIV is able to sync with the toaster. The ToasterScreenAfterOpeningAmigaScreen.JPG screenshot is from the PIV flicker fixer -- though I had to start the toaster software from a Amiga NTSC Workbench screenmode.

The issue comes up when switching between P96 (RTG) screen mode and the flicker fixer. -- this is when the screen corruption happens.

If I have a chance will try an older version of the P96 software.

• I tired the version on Aminet and also a 2.1 install version. In the 2.1 install, there is this readme that shows change log to 2.0. Both versions still see the corruption of screen when screen toggles between flickerfixer to RTG. Haven't found any version log from 2.0 to 2.2 yet.

I then tried cybergraphx4 and with that one it is working okay and I don't see screen corruption between toggles of Amiga NTSC flicerfixer output and RTG screenmode . So this does not look like a hardware issue/failure.

Another data point is that I saw this screen corruption on a ZZ9000 board as well. I need to put that card back in -- a much better flickerfixer experience on modern monitors!

• Another observation..:

1) From a P96 screenmode Workbench, I launch PDraw. It opens up an Amiga NTSC interlaced screenmode.and is flicker fixed on PIV. This is working fine.

2) I then go back to Workbench and launch the Toaster. It opens up its own Amiga screen. No corruption on Toaster screen when toggling between PDraw, Toaster, and P96 Workbench. However, the P96 RTG WB screen does get corrupted.

4) Then I close PDraw.

5) I go back to Toaster screen and it is then corrupted like the original screenshot above.

• Hi,

I did see a "memory management fix" in the upcoming version 2.5.0 of P96 (which won't come this week, as there's more work to do on other card's drivers, so please bear with us). If I understand the changelog correctly, then the memory management previously allowed other parts of P96 to take memory away from the "P-IV special features", which could result in the observed screen corruptions. So there's a slight chance that this is fixed in the upcoming version.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.