P96 Pointer Issue

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I'm attaching 2 photos of the mouse pointer that I've seen on both a PicassoIV card and a Cybervision64 card running with P96.

One image is the pointer over a grey background and is good. Once I hover the pointer over a white area of the screen the outer fringes of the pointer graphic disappear.

I have not set the SOFTSPRITE (so I assume that is "No" for default)

• To be honest, I think that what your pictures show is correct. The right part of the pointer is white, so it's expected that it disappears on a white background.

The position that you've set the pointer on the icon happens to have black pixels in exactly the correct spot, and since they are clearly visible near the pointy end of the arrow, I don't see any systematic error at all.

• OK, that's pretty obvious now: Colours that should just overlay are somehow altered. Can you please share the exact screenmode setting? Is this a true/high-colour screen, or an indexed-colour screen?

• I just got feedback from the programmer and testing team: This is not a P96 bug, but just the way that VGA handles Sprites. These have only two possible colours on VGA, and the Amiga is just superior in it's number of colours for the pointer.

Somewhere in the P96 documentation, this is already mentioned - can't point to it right now, as I have lots of other work to do, but two people from the team confirmed that it's there. So the explanation is: The 3rd pointer colour is "emulated" by inverting the background.

• Thanks Jen. I was taking a look at the change log and mentions this for the RetinaBLT/Draco only...

https://aminet.net/package/driver/video/Picasso96

- RetinaBLT Z3 and Draco Altais (NCR chip driver changes by Jürgen

Döffinger):

- small changes with masked blits (less overhead).

- implemented hardware support for BltPattern.

- hardware sprite uses color 3 as inverted color now (unlike all other

cards).

Once I have time, I will try the softsprite option

• 8-bit looks correct (that's an indexed-colour screen), 16-bit doesn't. I assume 24-bit is identical to the 16-bit picture?

Also, is this only in the pointer editor, or can you see the same wrong colours after saving the sprite? Just trying to find out if the bug is located in the editor or in P96.

• Yes, 24-bit showing same as 16-bit. The pointer itself is okay and just the preview boxes. I tried cybergraphx4 and actually saw same issue. So looks like this is particular to the pointer prefs editor with RTG >8bit modes.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.