ACA1221EC Dead?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi Team,

After receiving my repaired ACA500Plus and the new Amiga PSU, I've had a wonderfully working system for that last few days. Unfortunately whilst working away this evening, my Amiga froze and the mouse pointer disappeared.

After rebooting a number of times, I'm presented with a blank screen and nothing else.

On removing the cover and having a look around, I've tried the usual reseating of all components with no luck. However, If I remove the ACA1221EC, everything boots perfectly fine. I've tried reseating the accelerator, cleaning all contacts with IPA etc etc but no luck. No matter what I do, it appears my accelerator is dead.

TBH, I'm probably not going to send it back for repair as I've spent so much recently, I cant justify the expense but was wondering if there are any further tests I can do?

Thanks,

Darren

• was wondering if there are any further tests I can do?

First thing we do is to re-seat it by pulling it back by about 1mm, carefully moving it left-right until I have a feeling that truly a different part of the gold contacts is used.

Next, the clock source is a prime suspect - it's the tiny sliver component with four contacts. One of these contacts has a white dot to indicate #1. The opposite pin is the clock output - that's where we measure, expecting 85.1248MHz at LVTTL level.

If one of the CPLDs has a latch-up, it usually results in a short on the 3.3V side, and the regulator gets really hot. The voltage regulator is the three-leg part that has a large tab on the opposite side of hte three legs. If that's getting very hot (as opposed to luke warm in normal operation), you can be pretty sure that one of the CPLDs suffered a latch-up.

• I plugged it back in this morning to test your suggestions ad the bl**dy thing started working :-) Must have been a bad connection even though I reseated it a dozen times or so previously.... anyway result!!.

Thank you as always for your prompt responses.

Darren

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.