Broken RapidRoad worth repairing or buy new one?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi.

To much tinkering today broke my RapidRoad clockport.

It has been working flawlessly for a long time connected to a clockport expander from AmigaKit.

Questions:

Is it worth sending it in for repair or should I buy a new one?

Anything I can test or do?

What happened:

I was connecting my USB CDROM and then it just froze. Checked the pins for the USB connector cables and no short there, the clockport expander or connecting the RapidRoad directly to the clockport do not work.. Either way my fault. :-(

Suspicions:

Either it was to much static electricity when connecting the CDROM to the USB port, or that I pushed to hard in the middle of the case and possible shorted something around the clockport expander/clock port.

Testing:

I also tried connecting my other RapidRoad (from the x-surf) and it lights up, but when I try to add it in the Trident the USB module goes dark (the good one, the broken is all dark but gets very very hot).

My Prisma card works directly to the clockport. I have not tested re-connecting the expander to see if the expander card is working with the prisma.

- Tobias the breaker :-O

• Is it worth sending it in for repair or should I buy a new one?

It's defeinitely worth repairing. See here for details about sending back things.

Testing:

I also tried connecting my other RapidRoad (from the x-surf) and it lights up, but when I try to add it in the Trident the USB module goes dark (the good one, the broken is all dark but gets very very hot).

The behaviour of your X-SUrf-100 version on the clock port is not only expected, it's even described in the documentation: When the card sees activation of the clock port interface, it ceases operation, as it's not licensed to do that. Development of the clock port interface took MANY prototype runs to get it stable, and I didn't want the X-Surf-100 customers to pay for that, as the parallel interface worked on the very first iteration.

• Thanks Jens.

I will send it back for repair.

And yes I understand and I remember. I just "tested" to see the behavior as I think it is only the RapidRoad I broke and not the clockport on the Amiga.

• I will return my broken for repair but also ordered another one. I will later build another A1200 (hoping to get one of your future 1260 cards for that one) and I can use the old one there.

The USB cables are glued to the case so I hope it is ok that they are not returned in the repair.

One question, when I attach the USB cables in a A1200 case the USB shields are not connected to grounds, just the RapidRoad card. Should I do a connection between the USB connectors shield and ground?

• The USB cables are glued to the case so I hope it is ok that they are not returned in the repair.

That's OK. More info about sending things back can be found here.

One question, when I attach the USB cables in a A1200 case the USB shields are not connected to grounds, just the RapidRoad card. Should I do a connection between the USB connectors shield and ground?

You can never have enough ground and shielding. If you can, please connect them all with "lots of copper".

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.