Using an IDE CDRom with the Buddha on an existing system

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens and team,

I was able to pick up an IDE CDRom for next to nothing. I want to mount it to my existing A2000 system (KS/WB 3.1) which it equipped with a Buddha controller.

Note:

I downloaded the Buddha install disk which seems to do the job of setting up everything for CDRom use.

Once it reaches the point to detect the CDRom using FindDevice (buddha_atapi_device), a dialog appears with an error: Can't find the Buddha Semaphore.

I let the software continue but installation seems to be unsuccessful.

What must I do at this point?

Thank-you.

• Seems I have it working but I can't confirm.

The proper device is buddhascsi.device (as mentioned in other posts).

I modified a file in DosDrivers by using the above device name and selecting unit 0.

When I perform an info command in CLI, my device appears.

I'm not familiar with using CDRoms on an Amiga.

Is the CDRom format a standard?

I.E. Can the Amiga read a PC formatted CDRom or is it limited to reading Amiga formatted CDRoms?

I placed one of my old PC cds in the drive and the Amiga can't seem to read it.

Update: I created an Amiga Cd from some file I downloaded from the web (from one of the popular CD collections).

I can read the CD. All is fine.

• I modified a file in DosDrivers by using the above device name and selecting unit 0.

I'd need to know if the Buddha controller is also used to boot the machine, or if there's a second harddisk controller that does the job. Further, I Need to know if the CD-Rom drive is set to "Master" or "Slave", and which port of the Buddha controller is being used.

I'm not familiar with using CDRoms on an Amiga.

Is the CDRom format a standard?

I.E. Can the Amiga read a PC formatted CDRom or is it limited to reading Amiga formatted CDRoms?

CD Rom file system is mostly ISO9660, with lots of extensions over the years. Since it originated from DOS, only 8.3 file names were supported first, then came "Rockridge extensions" and "Joliet", all geared towards longer file names and special characters allowed in the file names. The CacheCDFS covers these until "about the turn of the millennium", so I'm not entierly sure if ISO9660-Level 3 is upported. Even without, you should be able to read most CDs with the Amiga and don't even notice that they are written on a different sytem.

• I do have this problem too. my machine boots from and IDE HDD on the buddha. When I try to install the CD drivers, the scan device only list buddha_atapi.device and no CD. If I try and change that I get a message saying the Elaborate bytes driver only support buddha_atapi.device and nothing else.

However, when I click on scan device manually, I can select both buddhascsi.device and gvpscsi.device and look identify my CD.

Basically, it stops me from installing and mounting the CD.,

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.