Cooling the Indivision Mk3 1200

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi All,

I am a happy new owner of the Mk3. So far it works mostly ok. But the Mk3 board is incredibly hot. With the original firmware the display stability declined with heat to the point where it didn't work anymore. The firmware in the archive for the Indivision utility version 1.4 has solved that mostly. But the board is supper hot. You can't hold your finger on it. Maybe this is ok? Should I be concerned?

• Here the same thing, you can feel it while not touching the amiga it self. Something i didnt have with the MKII

Specs : amiga 1200 rev 1d4 recapped, icomp CA-PSU, ACA1233n@40 with IDE speeder, Rapidroad USB,

edit: and while posting, the answere came from pwsoft,

• By the way, i'm not to concerned for the Indivision, this can be replaced... But can it hurt my beloved amiga?

I wouldn't know how. Lisa does get the same ventilation that it got with Indivision AGA MK2 and MK2cr, and that has been on the market for over eight years now without a single report about a failed main board.

Radiated heat from such small chips that do so much "feels bad", but it's a natural thing: The FPGA on Indivision AGA MK3 is tiny compared to the large chip on the predecessor, and it has twice the amount of logic cells. Further, the FPGA does a lot more at higher speeds, so it's totally natural that is produces more heat. This increased heat must be dissipated through a smaller surface, even heating it up more.

So yes, the temperatures on Indivision AGA MK3 are higher, but the two chips that are the hottest (FPGA and HDMI encoder) are still at a distance to Budgie, and that's not a "hot" thing at all (a bunch of gates switching/storing at 3.58MHz max..). There is no danger at all - if you want to damage that with radiated heat, you'll need a few hundred watts of focused IR light. Luckily, other things would break before Indivision AGA MK3 would be capable of doing that :-)

• Thanx for the answere, i had to ask, I bought most of the retro computers i daily use brand new back in the days. Only had done some recap, rest is still original in mint condition. So yes, the nostalgic level is high :)

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.