indivision ecs v2 on amiga 500 colours not right and big black line at right side screen

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • hello,

purchased a scandoubler ecs v2 for my amiga 500. removed the denise chip and installed the indivision ecs v2.

Started up my amiga 500, running from a flash card. Wb3.1 opens and what an amazing picture...

Untill you run a game or demo, Buggy boy for example, colours are 3 seconds very good, 3 seconds flickering...

Super Frog shows good quality only if you go sideways to the right, a black line from about 2 cm

shows up. Shooting games you get a second plane at the right part of your screen?;(

Tried 3 different monitors, all the same problem. Only when i put in the denise chip i can play the

games correct, but in very low quality pictureX(

Someone good adviceX/

• This sounds like a contact problem - some data is not properly arriving at the flicker fixer. Please check:

- did you run the latest config tool and do the firmware update?

- what other expansions are there in the system?

- is your power supply up to the task? What type is it?

• Trying to give you some images of the problem, reinstalled the software, problem stays, in games and demo's the colors are switching from the right colors to different colors, it's mostly the white parts that turn to green and blue. If I play for example buggy boy, the colors change constantly from the right colors to bad colors. Superfrog I get an anoing black cursion on the right side of the screen, when you play the game it goes constantly left and right. When I remove the esc 2 and put in Denise, I get normal screen and game play, so the problem is the indivision ecs 2, I presume. On the other side, In my workbench I get an amazing picture, razor sharp image. The problem is moving images to left and right in gameplay and demo. It's like the Scandoubler can't fallow the fast moving images or so...

• Is this happening only on VGA, or also on the DB23 RGB?

The simplest idea I'd have for this is wither a VGA cable that's not plugged all the way in, or a broken wire somewhere between flicker fixer and the monitor.

• It happens on vga and rgb with the doubler, so when doubler is connected and I use the rgb, problem stays. When I disconnect the doubler and put in original Denise chip and use the rgb with a vga adapter or scart, I get normal game play. So it is not the vga cable I think. Problem only happens with doubler connected.

• I will get another (high quality) vga cable and try this, if the problem stays I will send it back I guess. Tried everything, the doubler has problems showing the color white, it turns green and Bleu in gameplay/demo, not stable. Sad but true...

• It happens on vga and rgb with the doubler, so when doubler is connected and I use the rgb, problem stays.

Then we should really take a look at it here - the VGA cable won't make a difference. It does sound like a bad contact, but since the RGB output and the VGA output use different parts of the FPGA, the best explanation I have is a broken-off pin. If you return it, it'll be easy to replicate the problem, as the WB title bar is always white in our test-installations.

• as the WB title bar is always white in our test-installations.

Jens, the WB title bar stays stady white in the WB screen. The doubler has problems

showing moving images. still images are shown quit good. See video links below please.

I made 3 video's to show the problem.

Video 1 shows scandoubler with vga cable .

Video 2 shows scandoubler with vga adapter on rgb.

Video 3 shows without scandoubler, denise chip active.

The problem stays wether i play from flashcard or play from usb gotek.

I removed the wicher 508i and tested, same problem.

What do you think, shall i send it back to you?

Thanks for your service so far!

• I see a buch of other things in the computer that might affect timing. Please describe what else is in the system, what Agnus you have (OCS or ECS), and what are the settings of the config tool - including the ECS flag set or not.

Further, the colour errors look like take-over timing being wrong. I've only had this once when I developed the ACA500 (loong time ago) when I had an error in my bus logic. After fixing that, everything was OK. So it might be worth looking at the accelerator you're using.

Cannon fooder flickering background colour might be the same cause - still, I'd like to know the speed of your on-board RAM chips and the trapdoor memory expansion, as that plays a role in register & copper timing.

The Superfrog thing looks like our Denise emulation is showing "too much" on the right side of the screen. In your Denise video, I see that the screen extendes about half the width of the coin to the right. Indivision ECS V2 shows too much to the right, so you see something that's normally covered. We'll have to analyze that.

This does not look like a hardware error of Indivision ECS V2 at all, so sending it back has no use. I expect any other unit do behave the same way. I believe we're looking at two different problems, where one can be fixed with an FPGA update, and the other is likely to be a timing error between the CPU and the flicker fixer, where the solution is most likely in the CPU bridge.

• Spot on Jens!

Spending an afternoon on wicher configuration, tried different settings. When I change the CPU speed from 25 mhz to 50 mhz,

The color problem with buggy boy, cannon fodder,... Is solved😁

Setting the doubler configuration, I can hide the right part or the left side of the screen with the adjustment tool. How can I hide left and right side together,? Not that simple... Problem halve solved!

Thanks for your support!

• When I change the CPU speed from 25 mhz to 50 mhz,

The color problem with buggy boy, cannon fodder,... Is solved😁

That's "interesting", to stay diplomatic. A hint for that developer should be that setup&hold times for all bus signals MUST remain the same as with a 7MHz synchronous CPU, regardless of the CPU speed of the accelerator. That's a basic rule of accelerator design: Anything that happens on the 7MHz side must not be different in any way from the original CPU. Looks like your accelerator saved a few cents on latches...

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.