Indivision AGA Mk3 and 1080p HD televisions via HDMI

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • but a different aspect ratio, 16:9, and the image is correctly displayed. Could it be it?

That's a very plausible explanation, yes: If you feed the monitor 16:9, but it has a 16:10 panel, it may really do the worst thing you could possibly do, and that's crop the picture to fill the whole screen. It wouldn't be the first time that a decision made by the monitor on it's own (attempting to be more clever than the user) is about the dumbest thing you can think of :-)

So a future update of the config tool, which hopefully finds a 16:10 mode in the next level of EDID blocks, might fix it. We have an internal version of the core that hopefully solves the VSync polarity problem (still need to hook up measurement equipment and see if we *really* solved it). Also, reading out the "deeper" EDID levels is also something that's on the agenda for the next version of the config tool - please give us a bit more time to do finalize and polish these. We've already pushed our luck by doing releases in very fast succession, but we should go back to more structured work.

• We have an internal version of the core that hopefully solves the VSync polarity problem (still need to hook up measurement equipment and see if we *really* solved it). Also, reading out the "deeper" EDID levels is also something that's on the agenda for the next version of the config tool

Hi Jens.

If you need me to do any test on the polarity issue, just ask.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

• If you need me to do any test on the polarity issue, just ask.

Our internal testing has shown a no-go for this core, so any further work needs to wait until Peter is back from his holidays. THe Sync polarity should be tested with a scope on the actual signal.

• This thread appears the closest to my problem, so I'll explain what happened. I guess this is about confirming problems which already mentioned above and seeing the kind of traps that a first-time user walks in to.

My Panasonic TX-40DX600E is very particular about what it accepts, if it's not 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p, 50i, 60p, or 60i and with a resolution of 1024x768 or 1920x1024 it will just display a black screen. Only I didn't realise this at the time, I thought there was some problem with the device or the way I fitted it.

So I refitted it a couple of times and still no joy. Initially with the settings program I thought that anything referring to VGA mode was specific to connecting a display to the VGA plug so I ignored it thinking that HDMI should be automatic and something was wrong with it as I only got a black screen.

The reason was it was outputting a 72Hz image. I played around with settings not knowing what I was doing and got no results. So used the rescue disk and also got no results (reasonable as it was already on the default settings). Finally I tried another cheap TV and got an output when using a HDMI cable. Then I realised it's because it has a VGA plug on the back so it could do VGA frequencies.

So now I knew that I needed to find an output that the TV liked, I selected one of the 60Hz ones, but still only got results when using one of the vertical resolutions I mentioned above. Then I realised there were hardly any preset 50Hz frequencies and none at the resolutions that the TV accepted.

Reading the EDID gave me just three entries as mentioned above (1920x1080@60Hz, 800x600@72Hz, and 640x480@72Hz) and only the first one works on the Panasonic, but there's already a preset which is the same so I didn't gain anything there.

So my suggestions for improvements are maybe the default settings could be changed to send an image with a resolution and frequency acceptable to both HDMI TVs and VGA monitors (something at 60Hz)? At least that way the user knows that it's working from the start if they've got a screen which only accepts a few modes.

Also, in the setup program, when I set the VGA mode it actually means setting the Indivison's output mode, maybe this could be worded better? Finally, it seems to me that most Amiga games are programmed with a 50Hz display in mind and will tear when scrolling on a 60Hz display so perhaps some more 50Hz presets at standard HD resolutions could be added?

Thanks,

Dan.

• That's a very plausible explanation, yes: If you feed the monitor 16:9, but it has a 16:10 panel, it may really do the worst thing you could possibly do, and that's crop the picture to fill the whole screen. It wouldn't be the first time that a decision made by the monitor on it's own (attempting to be more clever than the user) is about the dumbest thing you can think of :-)

So a future update of the config tool, which hopefully finds a 16:10 mode in the next level of EDID blocks, might fix it. We have an internal version of the core that hopefully solves the VSync polarity problem (still need to hook up measurement equipment and see if we *really* solved it). Also, reading out the "deeper" EDID levels is also something that's on the agenda for the next version of the config tool - please give us a bit more time to do finalize and polish these. We've already pushed our luck by doing releases in very fast succession, but we should go back to more structured work.

Hi, Jens.

Any news on the aspect ratio issue?

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

• Any news on the aspect ratio issue?

I do not consider this an issue of Indivision AGA MK3. You can set any output mode ("VGA mode" in the config tool) to make the screen do what it should do - just display what it's getting on it's inputs.

We can't possibly deal with deficiencies of all TVs and monitors. Instead, we provide pre-sets that are VESA compatible, and on top of that, you can deviate as far as you want from the standard using the config tool. So any issue your monitor has is already taken care of with the freedom that the config tool is giving you.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.