How to use MMC64?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • If I turn on MMC64 (Options -> Cartridge Settings -> MMC64 set to "on"), the only thing that seems to change is that no disk device works anymore. If I try LOAD "$", 8, I see "SEARCHING FOR N" and then "?FILE NOT FOUND ERROR". Trying to read the error channel returns only nonsense. The same happens with device 9. With device 10, I get "SEARCHING FOR N" and then "DEVICE NOT PRESENT."

I've looked through the manual about 30 times and nothing seems to address this.

What am I missing?

• Diskdrives (emulated or real) are unrelated to the MMC64 emulation, they work with or without - make sure you didnt do some other change to the setup that could cause this.

Now, to use MMC64 emulation, it must be enabled in the cartridge config, and then you have to reset to BASIC with an active cartridge. The cartridge slot must contain a cartridge that is compatible with MMC64 (for example: Retro Replay). For example press "1" in the Main Menu to do this in the default config (slot 1 contains Retro Replay).

Another thing to keep in mind is that MMC64 does not support SDHC cards, and some of it's plugins will require FAT16 formatting.

MMC64 features are documented in our wiki here: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/MMC64

That said, what are you trying to do with MMC64? Are you sure you cant do the same thing with the regular chameleon filebrowser? There are only a few rather esoteric things (like playing mp3 with c64@mp3) that are not supported.

• Your answer seems to be as good as "you don't." If MMC64 doesn't support SDHC cards, then it isn't much use. The older kind is nowhere to be found.

I had thought this would be a faster and larger means of storage than the 1541 emulation.

Trying to load it with a Retro Replay cartridge, or indeed any cartridge, produces only a blank screen.

• > I had thought this would be a faster and larger means of storage than the 1541 emulation.

As said, there is almost nothing the builtin Filebrowser can't do that MMC64 could do. MMC64 did not have "mass storage" via a kernal device either.

> Trying to load it with a Retro Replay cartridge, or indeed any cartridge, produces only a blank screen.

The probably happens because you have a SDHC card inserted, in that case it hangs when trying to initialize the SD card - remove it and it will continue.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.