Buddha working to IDE spec? Question on CF card useage.

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

Thanks for your support but I still have this question(s):

1.) Is the currently sold model of Buddha IDE __AS GOOD AS__ Commodore A600/1200/4000, BSC Tandem etc. which all can handle a varity of CF cards? Can I use, without problem(s), for example a SAN DISK, KINGSTON etc. branded [non industrial] CF card [without any other expansions as TrueIDE] with up to 4 GB on this contoller, or not? For both, Amiga HDD format (RDB, BOOT) and FAT format for file transfer. Never had any problem with that, except on Buddha IDE "phoenix edition" (read below).

I read many problems here on this forum with this product?!? Anyone has experience, or does the manufacturer maybe has done some tests on this product that he may want to share?

Does it work? I dont need any explaination why, just a simple answer to the question if I can be sure that this product does work as expected (compareable in function to other IDE controllers for this system (Amiga))?

Answer:

[] YES

[] NO

2.) Is there an easy [without any further equipment] update tool/process for Buddha "phoenix edition", which seems to be of 2006, as this product also does not work with CF cards (all other controllers can handle this). ||

I know there is a hack by a 3rd party hobby enthusiast - so someone managed to get this product working as anyone would expect it to, but not sure if the original supplier and developer also has an update process for customers available to make it equal in function to other IDE implementations on this platform (Amiga) or not?

Answer:

[] YES

[] NO

Thank you. :saint::saint::saint:

• I read many problems here on this forum with this product?

That's because this is a support forum. People only write her if they have a problem, and hardly ever when the product just works.

Does it work? I dont need any explaination why, just a simple answer to the question if I can be sure that this product does work as expected (compareable in function to other IDE controllers for this system (Amiga))?

It's not as simple as that - a simple "yes or no" answer would always be incorrect, so you're not going to get that.

You can verify branded CF cards to work today, and they may not work with the next batch of these branded cards. The probability of this to work fine is high, but since Buddha is an IDE controller (not a CF controller), it of course requries the connected device to be IDE compliant. The standard that the Buddha complies with is the X3T9 standard.

2.) Is there an easy [without any further equipment] update tool/process for Buddha "phoenix edition", which seems to be of 2006, as this product also does not work with CF cards (all other controllers can handle this).

Sure, the latest update, which completely replaces the old Elaborate-Bytes drivers, can also be used with the old Buddha controllers, even dating back to 1997 (where the 1997 version requires an EPROM programmer, and starting 1998, you can just flash them). This solves most, but certainly not all compatibility problems with CF cards (mostly because the CF cards do not comply with the IDE standard). Read this Wiki article about flashing the Buddha controllers.

• AAahhh... just checked eMails - you're the person who has sent that unbelievable eMail on July 20th of this year (01:13am), where you claimed that all kinds of promised updates and tools were never released. Check your inbox: July 20th, 2020 07:18am. You got a correction to each and every one of your idiotic claims. You further got a clear pointer to the Wiki.

Instead of following that, you come back here and ask these silly questions again? You've got a 2006 controller, and 14 years later you can even get a fresh update to that. Instead of saying thank-you, you claim that support is bad, flash tools do not exist and special equipment is supposed to be required.

You got a friendly correction to all your weird claims in your native language. I would have expected an apology from you after sending you that eMail. Instead, you clearly demonstrate that you are not willing to do simple steps (such as following the Wiki instructions) to make it work as you like.

I'm sorry, but support can't go any further than serving you the solution for free on a silver platter. Clearly, you've ended my willingness to stay polite.

Edit: Further checking our previous communication, I have already written to you on April 17th, 2018, that you should buy any retro-computing hardware somewhere else, but not from iComp. This was following a similarly-unbelievable eMail on that same date. I hereby renew this: Do not buy iComp hardware, unless you are willing to read the documentation. Since you are demonstrating that you're not willing to read, I hereby renew my call: Do not buy a new Buddha controller, neither in our shop, nor from any of our resellers. Learn how to read first. Apologize for your weird behaviour, then we can talk.

• Jens

Closed the thread.