PSU for Chameleon Standalone

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello !

Im probably posting this in the wrong section, but as its about a PSU I thought maybe it could go here.

Today I got the new Chameleon v2. :-)
    And to be safe I thought I'd ask one time too many, instead of once too little.

I just wonder what PSU I should use for the Chameleon now ?
    Can I use any 5V PSU ? I remember there was some mention of that it should be 5,1 V ?
    I see that the PSU plug is mini-USB not micro so that limits me to PSUs with detachable cable.
    I would otherwise maybe use a RPi PSU but they dont have detachable cable.

I have an old iPAD 1 PSU/charger, that I think is 5,1V (not very much used, so should still be good ?)
    The PSU on my old Cham. v1 is just a nondescript USB psu but its 5,1V I think.

The amperage should be greater than 1A ? Only 1A on that iPad PSU/charger.
    I plan to use PS2 mouse and keyboard.

Thanks for any info !

• Can I use any 5V PSU ?

Almost, yes. The Chameleon requires around 420-450mA of current, but the 500mA-rated China PSUs may not be up to the task, and you need some headroom to add keyboard, mouse, SD-card and possibly the Docking Station. We therefore recommend 1A- or higher rated PSUs.

I remember there was some mention of that it should be 5,1 V ?

It was even a recommendation for 5.2V, but that was for the V1 hardware with cable loom. The V2 hardware is geared towards 5.0V, as those PSUs are much easier to come by.

I have an old iPAD 1 PSU/charger, that I think is 5,1V (not very much used, so should still be good ?)

5.1V should be OK as well, also for the V2 hardware.

• Thanks for reply ! I know I'm a little out of line here as I saw that a lot was answered already in the Quickstart guide -
    For my v1 all these years I only used the PSU that Vesalia supplied back in the start - I see now it also is 5V but 1,2 Amps ! (Hama)

I found I also have two dedicated USB PSUs 5V/2A (with detached USB cable) - but they are of nondescript China type so I think those might be a bad idea ? And I have no way to check if they are _regulated_ (?) I really need to get more electronics skills :-(

In addition to the old iPad1 charger I have a new 2A Samsung charger and an old Samsung charger both for Galaxy Tabs. Could these be likely candidates ?

• I found I also have two dedicated USB PSUs 5V/2A (with detached USB cable) - but they are of nondescript China type so I think those might be a bad idea ? And I have no way to check if they are _regulated_ (?)

I'd trust they are regulated - even the cheapest PSU chip sets have a voltage reference and a regulation loop. Worth a try. And Hama is just a German importer of Chinese stuff, so the source might as well be the same :-)

Could these be likely candidates ?

Yes, anything that has a USB power outlet is a likely candidate.

• Apparently my Chameleon v1 should have power greater than 5v ! I got some artifacts moving a little on the multicable but none when I used the 5.1 V iPad charger. But I HATE Apple and prefer not to use that charger. And I struggle to find other 5.1 V supplies. I thought about the Raspberry Pi supplies as I think they said they were 5.1 V but unfortunately they are micro usb and non detachable cable so I need a type a female to micro b female adapter or another 5.1 V supply :-( ANYONE have tips for me ? Thanks in advance ! And my image problems might also be solved due to the 5.1V supply voltage (but I would prefer to get it from other source than built by Apple .. :-( ) And the other v2 image problems were likely due to poor VGA cable !

• ANYONE have tips for me ?

You could solder a USB cable to the Docking Station - that will feed power into the Chameleon through the 44-pin port, bypassing the Schottky diode in the cable loom that is responsible for the slightly-higher voltage requirement.

• Just wanted to apologise about negative words about image quality of V2 on FB. Looks like its resolved now, better PSU on V1 and better VGA cable on V2 ! Plus apparently there is some flicker due to the way the AGA core for minimig works ! And that is not due to hardware itself.

• Don't apologize here - describe your solution on FB! I don't have an account there (and don't plan to). Not a single iComp employee has a FB account.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.