TCV2 C64 Core Display

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have been experimenting with various monitors I have to see what gives the best results with the c64 core.

The BenQ I have seems best but i've noticed that the left hand border of the c64 is always larger than the right no matter which monitor i use, is there anything i can do to solve this?

Thanks.

• I get the same. I am using the BenQ BL 702A. Settings are 800x600, 50Hz and sync to VIC II is on. After comparing with screens connected to C64s videoport I have seen that much of the left area is showing more than it would when a screen is connected via C64s video port. So I think you could center the picture without really missing anything. The drawback is that you get a black border on the right side of course.

• I took some pictures of the above mentioned BenQ BL 702A plugged into the TC64 V2s VGA and an LCD TV plugged in the same C64s Video port, connected with S-Video and set to 4:3 aspect ratio. So both screens running at the same time.

As you can see, the TC64 has a larger overscan area on the left side and a slightly larger overscan area on the right side compared to the LCD TVs S-video picture which is connected to C64s video port. So plenty of overscan space on the BenQ. So you could center the image without loosing any important overscan. But as I said in my last post, the drawback would be a black border on the right side.

• Thats exactly what I get, and the top border is bigger also, if theres any way around this it would be great.

I also have the Benq BL702A, very impressed with it, reasonably priced also.

• Thats exactly what I get, and the top border is bigger also, if theres any way around this it would be great.

I also have the Benq BL702A, very impressed with it, reasonably priced also.

As you can see on the LCD TV the bottom overscan area is bigger than the top one. On the BenQ it's the other way around.

It's a great monitor for TC64, Indivision ECS/ECS V2 or connecting directly to Amiga RGB.

• THis is not a "problem" of the Chameleon - it's a property of the C64. The overscan area is indeed not symmetrical. We've had this a few days ago already - might have been in the German part of this forum.

• That looks like it isnt even showing the entire picture, so god knows what it does. In any case, if you connect a C64 to a classic CRT TV which was factory calibrated, then the left border will be slightly wider than the right border (about one character, ie 8 pixels).

• That looks like it isnt even showing the entire picture, so god knows what it does. In any case, if you connect a C64 to a classic CRT TV which was factory calibrated, then the left border will be slightly wider than the right border (about one character, ie 8 pixels).

I have no clue what it's doing. It will allow for smooth scrolling though. Of course it has quite bad vertical lines and checkerboard pattern. My main setup is the TC64 V2 and BenQ BL 702A. Gives a much better picture than any LCD TV that's connected with S-video or Composite.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.