Indivision AGA MK3 for A1200

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Thanks - all these findings say that we should stop sampling address and data a bit earlier, as accelerators don't hold this information long after an access. Unfortunately. DHL is very slow on the "premium" parcel to Peter - shipped on the 7th, it has been sitting in German expert centers until today. Let's hope it will arrive this week - Peter can't start work on this unless he can reproduce the issue.

• Thanks - all these findings say that we should stop sampling address and data a bit earlier, as accelerators don't hold this information long after an access. Unfortunately. DHL is very slow on the "premium" parcel to Peter - shipped on the 7th, it has been sitting in German expert centers until today. Let's hope it will arrive this week - Peter can't start work on this unless he can reproduce the issue.

Any progress on this Jens?

• Just received mine today and having an issue - just read through the forum and nothing matches what I'm having, so here goes:

It's been recapped with organic polymers and the RF module removed, but otherwise it's an unmodified C= A1200 2B

150 Watt PC supply in a Prima ATOM case. It's still the original supply but hasn't given issues. Re-checking it under load is on my checklist for tomorrow, but it feeds a V1200 v2 with SD, IDE and network along with 2 external goteks just fine (when they're in the machine).

KS 3.1.4 ROMS

Not sure what else I may have forgotten. Ask and I'll provide.

I get no video whatsoever out of either HDMI or VGA. Monitor indicates no signal and of course no OSD comes up. All cables on the Indie have been checked and reseated a few times. Initially, there was an issue with the Indie not seating properly due to resistor R261A being in the way - there's a notch in the Indie's socket but it still was coming smack down in the middle of the resistor so I nudged the resistor a mil or two out of the way to the edge of its pads and the Indie seems to be seating properly now, and Lisa's legs have been thoroughly cleaned :)

I'd normally think it's a bad Indie board but oddly I connected back up to the native RGB and made a rescue disk and was able to flash it without any problem. Also, in the setup utiliity I can successfully scan the EDID of attached monitors, pull resolutions and apply them globally. Thus far I've tried a Dell 1907FP-f, Dell 1908FP-c and a Samsung SyncMaster 930b.

Anyone have any ideas? The only thing I'm thinking is somehow the deleted RF modulator is an issue, but I can't really see how that would cause a problem. Also maybe timing fix, but again I seriously doubt it. I've used this board for about 2 years now and played with a few accelerators without issue. Kinda pulling my hair out. Suggestions very much welcome.

• I finally installed mine yesterday and have started to play with it. Unfortunatelly I experience same (or similar) problems as described by user 'dmac'. There are constant blackouts in workbench in PAL and NTSC (15 kHz) modes. Blackouts occurs when trying to open a new window or when moving a window. Dragging a screen or scrolling it in Low-res does not make this blackouts. Also, playing a games does not triggers any problems. Problems is visible also in early startup control options. Openng any og the options there will triggers blackouts. Those blackouts last between 1 and two seconds and that makes WB totally unusable on these screen modes. Interestingly, when I go to higher resolution screens, problem dissapears. Actually, it dissapears on i.e. DblPAL, DblNTSC, Multiscan. No blackouts at all and no resolution switch on Indi. But on the other hand, I'm using HIGHGFX mode (22,22 kHz) and there blackouts exists (less frequently, like once in a 10 clicks) but are very short. Almost unnoticable except the quick bump in whole picture and showing of Indi on screen info indicating that something has changed in resolution. And yes, it is related to expansion board since when I diable it, then this problems dissapears. But I have Blizzard 1230 IV.

My configuration:

A1200 board revision 1D.4

Blizzard 1230 with 68030 and 68882 on 50 MHz with 16 MB RAM

CA-PSU

Indivision AGA MK3 flashed to latest firmware

WB 3.1.4

SD2IDE adapter with 16 GB SD card in it

Tested on three different screens with different settings (same problem on all of them)

Dell U2718Q

Dell U2412M

Samsung FullHD TV from 2009

To add, if I leave Amiga running and not try to open or move windows on it, then there is no problem whatsoever. Picture is nice and steady, no artifacts, no blinking (resolution changes). And problem is consistent, it is there from first start so I would not say it is related with temperature (which goes high to hot over time but does not change behaviour).

Any suggestion what I can try or how to help you to debug it?

• 150 Watt PC supply

Bad idea. Please read up on power supplies before you do modifications - PC power supplies are generally the worst idea you can have.

V1200 v2

Even worse of an idea, as that HDMI output has an incorrect implementation of the 5V connection: It lacks the reverse current protection. Faults and weird behaviour to be expected.

I'd normally think it's a bad Indie board

Depending on when this has been shipped, it's not excluded. We've changed the packing instructions because we had a complaint about the two adapter PCBs being packed into the same bag with the Indivision. Although it was clear in the packing instructions from the beginning, one employee has put the adapter boards into the same small bag, which has caused components to be ripped off in two cases already. His intention was to keep the box from making rattling noises - we now achive both, no noises and protection, by using a larger bubble foil bag and placing the adapter PCBs outside the bag. The bigger bag pushes them in a firm place, so no noises to be expected.

Please take high-res pictures of both sides of the board and post them here, so I can do a visual inspection.

• We're on a solution - current measurements show that it's a classic "off by one" error, which we'll fix with the next firmware update.

Great, hardly wait to try the fix since asside from the blackouts, this is one remarkable piece of hardware. I hope that you will be able to fix the problem.

And thanks for the quick reply. :)

• Bad idea.

Your point is well taken. It's an AT power supply in a commercially produced case, so in my small defense it's not my modification. As for the Vampire - again, point taken, but it's not currently connected so isn't affecting the Indivision board. These ARE issues though that I'll investigate at a later time. If I had a stock A1200 power supply I'd happily use it but unfortunately the only stock A1200 power supplies I have won't work in the US, as all the machines I have are PAL.

Pictures, to follow, as requested. Please let me know if the quality is insufficient or you need me to zoom in on any area as I'd be happy to post others.

• After some lurking in the forum I found the post about a ripped off capacitor which prompted me to do a closer inspection with a magnifier (it's times like this that I miss the eyes of my youth)...

...And I think I found the problem. L13 seems to be missing a component. An inductor I presume? My inspection was pretty close so I believe this is the only thing missing. At least the pads look okay.

And yes, mine was shipped lumped into the black bubble bag with no additional packaging on 17-8-2020. I double checked the packaging and found nothing rattling around so the component is probably forever swimming in a sea of carpet.

At this point I'd say if you find anything else amiss in my pictures please let me know. And if you'd kindly share the values of the component I'd be happy to source something a bit more local and attach it.

• Additional info regarding PAL and NTSC blackouts. I have found what is causing them on my system. You said that you're on solution but just in case if there are two different problems and what I experience is not what you are fixing. So, after more playing with Indivision settings, the problem for me is that when I move windows around, the logic somehow wrongly detects that I am using SHRes instead of HiRes (for a brief moment). And since originally by default I had different output resolutions for SHRes and "normal" modes this caused resolution changes, first to SHRes and then back to normal. Now I have disabled PAL and NTSC SHRes settings and no more blackouts occurs for me. But Indivision OSD is shown all the time when moving windows around showing constant SHRes detection. Not ideal but I can leave with it for now until the fix will be done. At least I have rid off the blackouts.

Additionally, if graffiti options is set (not that I need it but I set it accidentally) then moving windows around also causes graffiti detection in OSD and some flickering of the screen. That is just for an info and is easily solvable by turning that option off (or not set it in the first place).

• We've actually used the SHires bit for triggering the logic analyzer to view what's going on inside the FPGA :-) A fix for this problem involves not just correcting the code, but also applying timing constraints, which is the more tedious part. However, it ensures that the compiler/fitter will produce the same result on every compile.

• We now have a core for everyone to test - this is really only a test-core, as it does not meet all timing requirements. We normally aim at 165MHz output pixel clock, but this core is only good for a maximum of 155MHz output pixel clock. However, one important change is there, and that's the chipset communication fix. Please download the file from our Wiki (test core sfrom September 17th) and install the core using the "flash firmware file" menu item from the drop-down menu.

Please report back if it works as good for you as it does for us - then it's worth putting more effort into meeting timing up to 165MHz pixel clock.

No changes to the Audio engine yet - this issue was much more important to us, and we wanted to release something before the weekend, so we hopefully have your results on Monday.

• At this point I'd say if you find anything else amiss in my pictures please let me know. And if you'd kindly share the values of the component I'd be happy to source something a bit more local and attach it.

It's a ferrite bead, size 0603, part number BLM18PG121SN1D. This is a MuRata number, but you can use pretty much any other chip inductor with similar data. There's not much current flowing through it, so the rated current of 2A can be reduced. The 120R at 100MHz is a "good rule of thumb", and the unit passed CE with it, so I didn't bother to look for anything else :-)

• Hi,

Thanks very much for the core update, please may I ask what kinds of changes/improvements you have made, what differences you might expect us to see, and if there is anything in particular you'd like us to test?

I've just flashed the new firmware and after a reboot all seems fine so far.

• It's a ferrite bead, size 0603, part number BLM18PG121SN1D. This is a MuRata number, but you can use pretty much any other chip inductor with similar data. There's not much current flowing through it, so the rated current of 2A can be reduced. The 120R at 100MHz is a "good rule of thumb", and the unit passed CE with it, so I didn't bother to look for anything else :-)

Awesome. Thanks Jens!

• Hi,

Thanks very much for the core update, please may I ask what kinds of changes/improvements you have made, what differences you might expect us to see, and if there is anything in particular you'd like us to test?

I've just flashed the new firmware and after a reboot all seems fine so far.

Only improvement is stability, no functional changes. No more random black screens once every minute, while sitting idle on the workbench or when moving the mouse. And no OSD popping up without any apparent reason, or random things like that. If you didn't have seen that happen with the previous firmware there should be no difference/change for you. Nothing particular to test, just use the Amiga, unless these problem did happen for you in specific cases, they should no longer happen in those same specific cases ;-)

• Even worse of an idea, as that HDMI output has an incorrect implementation of the 5V connection: It lacks the reverse current protection. Faults and weird behaviour to be expected.

The vampire team has noticed you make this claim about the V1200, and have explained that it does, in fact, have reverse current protection.

I wonder when did you buy your V1200 so that you could test this, Jens?

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.