Buddha

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I'm installing a Buddha into a Checkmate 1500+ case with vampire 500 v2 to run my cd rom. I installed it with both jumpers open but if the cable to cd rom is connected dom software does not appear. I disconnect the cable and dom software is there. I install the cd rom software and then workbench doesn't boot. What am I doing wrong? Your instructions are extremely poor to say the least!!!

• This sounds very much like the HP drive that I had during testing the Buddha controller: It somehow shorted out something on the Buddha, and the ROM wasn't accessible any more. Does the controller launch the installer from the DOM if you remove the CD drive, or do you have an older version without DOM?

• It has a DOM. If it's all connected the computer boots, but if I disconnect the ribbon cable to the cd rom it doesn't boot the power light just flashes. When I first installed it I would get the installation icon on w/b, but only with the cable disconnected. If I installed the software and then rebooted w/b wouldn't load, but it's not even doing that now.

• So the controller worked fine, including DOM, but it doesn't work any more after connecting the CD drive, even after disconnecting it? That doesn't only sound like an incompatible, but a severely defective CD drive.

Please list all components that you're putting together in that case - including power supply, daughter board, accelerator and so on. Please include the output of "showconfig" for a list of autoconfig boards.

• 500+ motherboard with 1mb ram expansion. Vampire v2+, GS40N dvd with sata to ide adapter, bequiet sfx2-300w psu all in a Checkmate 1500+ case with checkmate zorro board. In showconfig under boards it says Board (unidentified) Prod=5016/2($1398/$2) (@$DFE000 64K).

The dvd drive is the recommended one and what others have used. Hope this helps.

• In showconfig under boards it says Board (unidentified) Prod=5016/2($1398/$2) (@$DFE000 64K).

So the Buddha is not shown? Does this change if you remove the DVD drive and SATA adapter?

The dvd drive is the recommended one

I certainly don't recommend a DVD drive. If someone else does, then please also have him recommend the SATA adapter, as I belive that's the culprit here.

Please make sure that the PSU is really regulating the 5V rail individually. I wonder what you need 300W for - the Amiga, even with the accel, will most likely use less than 40W of power. This will result in terrible efficiency of the PSU. Also, ripple should be lower than 50mV, as Commodore has specified. Just checked their web site, but couldn't find any spec about ripple - bad sign. The PSU is rated 5V/20A, so 100W on the 5V rail. Further, the rating on 12V is 14A, so 168W. This indicates that the 12V rail is the main regulation rail, and the 5V rail will float with the 12V load. In other words: This PSU is not suitable for an Amiga.

Sigh.

• Hi, I have spoken to other people with the same set up as me. They are using the same psu and dvd drive and they have reported all ok. Maybe Faulty buddha card?

• I still don't know the exact DVD drive, SATA adapter (if any) and name of the person who "recommends" something.

Further, you did not answer the question to what you see in the early startup menu if you remove the DVD drive, just connect the install-DOM and close the corresponding power jumper. You really should work with us here, otherwise remote diagnosis is not possible. Most issues are *not* defective hardware, but usage problems, and we'd be causing an extreme inrush of perfectly working goods if we assume a defect with every problem that someone is reporting.

So please answer the questions before jumping to conclusions.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.