Keyrah v2 + Commodore Plus/4

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.
Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello.

I bought a Keyrah v2 to use with an old Commodore Plus/4 keyboard and Raspberry Pi.

The Plus/4 keyboard has a flat ribbon connector, but there's nowhere to plug this into the Keyrah, am I missing a part?

• The Plus/4 keyboard has a flat ribbon connector, but there's nowhere to plug this into the Keyrah, am I missing a part?

Keyrah is not advertised to have that plug. However, it comes with preparations for making an adapter: The "tail" of the circuit board has the required circuit, and you can solder an FPC connector on that part. Then you cut off the tail and either solder it on the C16 connector, or you solder a female header on the adapter and plug it to the C16 connector.

• OK, thanks for the info. I'm a bit new to all this, but I'm happy to solder. Can you suggest more clearly what parts I need, and perhaps just a little more detail on the process...?

• I’m in exactly same situation as the OP. Looking for recommendations for parts needed to solder to Keyrah 2 to make it accept 4/plus keyboard ‘cable’.

• I don't suggest use on the plus 4 the ribbon cable is a nightmare. And once you do the keyboard emulation is less then desirable. Just get a working plus 4 and future proof it. Heat sinks. Ect..

• Two questions:

1) I am looking at keyrah v2 and it's not obvious which of the connectors (that need to be soldered) is for Plus/4. Is it the one that is next to 'Amiga' text, or the one by the edge of the PCB and has plus/4 sort of printed below it?

2) Where is pin 1 on the plus/4 connector? And where is pin 18? Or more precisely, what's the pinout of the connector? (plus/4 keyboard has 18 pins, and connector on keyrah v2 for plus/4 has 25 pins).

Would really appreciate if someone can help here.

• 1) I am looking at keyrah v2 and it's not obvious which of the connectors (that need to be soldered) is for Plus/4. Is it the one that is next to 'Amiga' text, or the one by the edge of the PCB and has plus/4 sort of printed below it?

For plus/4, you ultimately use the C16 keyboard connector. Part of the PCB contains an adapter board: The long thing that sticks out under the joystick ports is the adapter. While it only serves a mechanical purpose in a C64 case, it will serve the "adapter purpose" for the plus/4: You cut it off at the marked line and solder in the components (or solder it directly to the C16 connector if you want to save the female header).

2) Where is pin 1 on the plus/4 connector? And where is pin 18? Or more precisely, what's the pinout of the connector? (plus/4 keyboard has 18 pins, and connector on keyrah v2 for plus/4 has 25 pins).

The 25-pin connector is NOT for the plus/4, but for the C128D keyboard. Pin#1 of each connector is marked with a square pad, where all other pads are round. The connector-places on the adapter-part of the Keyrah board are clearly written with the designators "C16" and "C116/plus4", so there really should be no doubts about how to use it.