Largest compatible memory upgrade for A500 with ACA 500 Plus

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi,

I have my aca and my 500, but wondered what is the highest memory configuration I can achieve that's compatible with the ACA 500 plus and my a500. I currently have a 512k trapdoor expansion but was hoping for more memory overall and maximum amount of chipram I can achieve.

I don't mind doing a bit of soldering if I have to to pop an expansion in the trapdoor or even solder chips to the board.

Mines a revision 6A board.

Thanks for your time.

Rob.

• The highest-possible Chipram config would be 2MB if you have an ACE2 or similar 2M-chipram expansion. FOr the Rev.6 board, these plug into the Agnus socket, and they are fairly hard to find these days - we are currently sold out, but aiming for a new production run later this year.

For fastmem, the ACA500plus has already a lot of fastmem - more than most of the standard 1990s config had. Remember that 2M of fastmem was several hundred DM back in the days , and today you have more than 6M of fastmem for a lot less than that - plus the acceleration, AR3 and dual CF card solution you get with the ACA500plus. In essence, the ACA500plus already takes you way beyond what was common in the 1990s when the A500 was very popular.

If you still want more memory, the ACA500plus gives you the possibilty to connect an A1200 accelerator. Our current top model is the ACA1233n-55 which gives you 127MBytes of fastmem - enough memory and CPU power to compile larger projects and never run into memory problems.

No soldering requried - The concept of the ACA500plus is to keep the A500 closed at all times. It's a classic machine, and I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to solder or even drill holes for a switch. I am aware that it was common in the 1990s, but today, it's a no-go.

• The highest-possible Chipram config would be 2MB if you have an ACE2 or similar 2M-chipram expansion. FOr the Rev.6 board, these plug into the Agnus socket, and they are fairly hard to find these days - we are currently sold out, but aiming for a new production run later this year.

Awesome news!!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.