Buddha IDE - Amiga boots to yellow screen

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens,

My Buddha IDE causes my Amiga 2000 to boot to a yellow screen.

This is with no cards installed, except for the Indivision ECS v2 which I just installed today (works great).

The Buddha had no drive connected to it. I also tried with the DOM. It makes no difference, I get a yellow screen.

I also tried all the card slots. It makes no difference.

Note: I sent you an email a last weekend stating I've been having some erratic issues with my A2000 system and booting. I figured out what may have caused all my issues. I have an IDE to CF card reader that is placed in one of the Amiga's 'brackets'. I plugged in a CF card backwards and broke some of the adapter's pins. The CF adapter is built stupidly to allow for backwards card insertion. I replaced it.

Since that time I was able to re-install WB on a new CF card. But I subsequently had issues booting.

I re-examined the Buddha today since I had to work on the ECS and hence this yellow screen problem.

Any suggestions?

Can I send in the card for analysis if need be?

Thank-you.

• Jens, I forgot to mention, I also accidentally plugged in the card backwards once. I can't remember if it was before or after I was able to re-install WB on a new CF card. R2 has not been damaged.

• I also accidentally plugged in the card backwards once.

Luckily, there's a protection diode for that case: If you insert it the wrong way round, the diode will short a negative voltage out and the 22R resistor on the card will burn. This resistor is called "resistor of shame" - shame on those who don't read the manual and insert the card the wrong way round :-)

While chances are high that no other component suffered damage, it's not guaranteed. Just replace the 22R resistor and see if you can get it back to life with that. There's an arrow on the card that points to the resistor in question.

• Jens,

I was playing around with the Amiga for a bit. I must have been tired and didn't pay attention.

I know it was my fault so I was willing to pay for the repairs or just buy a new Buddha.

The 22 ohm resistor looks good. I measured the resistance. I'll look for a diode.

Thank-you Jens.

• The controller will work without the diode - it will only conduct if the card is inserted the wrong way round.

However, I have a hard time uderstanding how this can happen - the diode is an MBRS130 (as mentioned yesterday - this should be enough for a replacement), and it can take 5 amps of forward current. The resistor is an 0603-sized 22R resistor with 0.063W maximum power. The diode on the other hand can dissipate 3W of energy - that's more than 47 times more than the resistor. I have selected this for a reason: The resistor shall burn, the diode shall survive, as it protects U2, the 74LS245.

The diode can only be measured if it's removed fromt he board. If you attempt to measure it in-circuit, you always measure part of the 74LS245 with it, so you *must* get false readings.

• The diode appears open in both directions.

This is of course not expected, but truly indicates a problem with the measuring device. Every single SMB diode that I have ever seen failing was shorted out. This either makes your controller truly a mystery, or your measurement device unusable :-)

• Yes, sure - please include the DOM and maybe also the CF card and adapter, just to take a closer look at them (I won't attemt to repair anything on the CF and adapter if it doesn't work).

• We only have one address; as seen on your invoices, the imprint of the web site(s), the waybill of the parcels we send out..

individual Computers GmbH

Im Zemmer 6

52152 Simmerath

Germany

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.