ACA500+ Aux CF not working with CF/SD adapter

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello,

I'm just getting started using my ACA500+ (currently with an ACA1221ec) and I was trying to update the firmware + add ACATool, using a FAT formatted card in the Aux CF port.

For this I'm using a microSD card in a SD adapter in a SD->CF adapter (the red one you find everywhere on eBay etc)
    I've verified the whole adapter setup works when plugged on my laptop using a USB CF card reader.

Unfortunately neither the firmware flash tool nor Workbench recognise the card. I think the flash tool actually says there is a CF card inserted but it can't see the update file. The LED stays on while the card is inserted, and after a few seconds the A500's power led starts flickering !

I don't think the Aux port is completely broken because a few hours before that, I managed to copy files between 2 Amiga formatted CF cards in the 2 ports.

Maybe I should mention that the card was FAT-formatted on a Mac using Disk Utility, but I don't think that's a factor because FAT volumes created this way usually work in my Gotek and other embedded devices with no issues.

Something else that I noticed is that I started getting checksum errors on the boot CF card that I had imaged a few hours before.

Any ideas if it's likely to be an incompatibility with the adapter, or something faulty with the ACA500+ ?

Thanks

• More info after some testing :

- The flash update tool says it can see a CF card but it's not FAT.

- One symptom I often see is the AUX led is half-bright, and the power Led on the A500 starts flickering a few seconds after inserting the CF card.

- The adapted card sometimes shows as CFAUX:NDOS, sometimes not at all in Workbench.

- It does seem to make a difference whether I hot insert the adapted card in the Aux port, in terms of half-bright-always-on-led or not.

- My Aux port is working with a real CF card (I was able to flash the menu system to the latest version this way)

- The adapted card works in the Boot slot ! I was able to run the WB3.1 installer on it. The installer could see both the adapted card in Boot, and the real CF card in Aux. But if I swap them, it only sees the real card in the Boot slot, never the adapted one in Aux.

So to summarize :
    The Aux slot in my ACA500+ doesn't seem to accept CF adapter->SD adapter->microSD card.
    That's not the end of the world, but it's a bit annoying because I much prefer to use SD cards to transfer files : I don't have many CF cards, and more importantly I don't have a built-in CF reader in my laptop.

• - My Aux port is working with a real CF card

- The adapted card works in the Boot slot

These two observations combined point to the CF-SD card adapter taking too much power. The FET that switches power on/off can take quite a bit of current (probably more than your power supply can handle), but it will drop a few millivolts if loaded. Further, there's a small micro controller in the CF-SD adapter that might act up if you have one of those "new" power supplies that are based on a MeanWell chassis, or if you have an original Commodore PSU that hasn't been re-capped yet.

So my guess is that this is a power supply issue. Like so many times before...

• Thank you,
    I thought about the PSU as well when I saw the Amiga power LED flicker. It's an original non-recapped one, I'll test with something else.

However I still don't understand why the CF-SD adapter works fine in the boot slot, just not in Aux

• I'll test with something else.

Just avoid to buy anything "new", as most of what's available on the market is MeanWell-based. These have insufficient regulation and way-too-high ripple.

However I still don't understand why the CF-SD adapter works fine in the boot slot, just not in Aux

Like I wrote in my earlier posting: The power switch for the AUX slot has a certain voltage drop. The Boot slot does not have that power switch, because it does not support hot-plugging.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.