ACA1233N-EC40 using ACATool 2.4 to map rom kickstart 3.1.4 (46.143)

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I am really sorry to dredge this back up again :rolleyes:, but I cannot get my ACATool to load kickstart 3.1.4.

So I have Classic Workbench 3.1 installed on my CF HD, I use the maprom feature normally and without issue on ACATool. When I try and map to kickstart 3.1.4 it simply will not work. I am unsure that when I map this rom do I need to remove my CF HD with 3.1 on it?

What I experience is usually this:

I use ACATool 2.4 to map to kickstart 3.1.4.

I then soft reset my Amiga

After a few seconds of a black screen my Amiga will eventually revert back to the installed chip roms for kickstart 3.1 and that leaves me at that screen prompting to insert a floppy disk.

What am I doing wrong? It is probably my lack of knowledge :/ so I was just wondering if you had some advice?

BTW the 3.1.4 rom files are exactly 524288 bytes so I don't think there is anything wrong with my kickstart rom file. Also it works in WINUAE and give me the correct kickstart screen for 3.1.4.

• Although V2.4 only introduced a change in ACA1211 handling, please also try an earlier version of ACAtool - bugs may appear without us immediately finding them.

• Ok tried this again.

I am getting into into ram now, well briefly however it wont stay there. I obviously need to remove my CF hard disk when I reboot so that later on I can place a blank one in and install OS 3.1.4 on it. However when I remove this HD my A1200 just reverts back to the chip roms 3.1.

I managed to achieve the 3.1.4 screen only twice and to this this mid way through a reboot I pulled the CF HD. There has to be a safer way than this? I thought once I loaded the rom into ACA memory it would stay there. I guess this is not the case?

I'm not sure what I should be doing in order to achieve the new rom insert disk screen.

If I leave the CF HD in and get this screen (see pic link)

[img]https://i.ibb.co/QPtGn6x/IMG-20200602-140844.jpg[/img]

and the only way to progress then is by placing in the install disk. So this leaves me no opportunity to remove the CF HD. Any ideas would be welcome.

• I'm not sure if I understand this correctly - Maprom is a volatile thing. It survives a reset, but it won't survive a power cycle.

The error messaage you get is because the ROM is lacking the icon.library - just copy that from the install floppies of 3.1.4 to the boot medium you're using. Please understand that this is nothing we should support - OS3.1.4 is Hyperion's product, not ours.

• So I have been messing around with this for some time now but I still don't understand at what point can I pull out my CF HD so I can format a new one with the new OS 3.1.4?

Sure I can' switch the Acatool to map to kickstart 3.1.4 but if I can't cold boot without losing the kickstart in ram and I can only softboot, when can I pull the CF out so as not to load all the partitions on it and allow a fresh install of 3.1.4 on a new CF card?

• I still don't understand at what point can I pull out my CF HD so I can format a new one with the new OS 3.1.4?

Cf in an Amiga is ALWAYS used in IDE mode, so you should NEVER unplug it while in operation. Only plug/unplug it when the comuter is switched off.

Sure I can' switch the Acatool to map to kickstart 3.1.4 but if I can't cold boot without losing the kickstart in ram and I can only softboot, when can I pull the CF out so as not to load all the partitions on it and allow a fresh install of 3.1.4 on a new CF card?

You can safely install from the install floppies without the new Kickstart mapped. This should be a standard case described in Hyperion's documentation. Once again, we're not responsible for giving support for Hyperion's products.

• Even when installed I can't get open OS 3.1.4 hard drive on my Amiga, I get the error ""DH0: not a dos disk" unless I go back to 3.1 hard drive and map the new rom from there and then pull out the CF card at early boot menu and swap with new one, then boot.

This is even after the point where I have full installation complete on new CF HD, ACAtool installed and mapped to kick 3.1.4 rom on the new CF HD in devs/kickstarts.

• Once again, this can't possibly be solved by the manufacturer of the accelerator. It is a software issue. Please go to the maker of the software. I am closing this thread.

• Jens

Closed the thread.