ACA1221lc - MAPROM Functionality Question

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hello

I'm just curious about one thing, I did research and couldn't find the answer.

Is it possible to load/write a different ROM (Namely 3.1.4) to the card and use it instead of the one that's physically installed on the board (Namely 3.x)? (Similar to what ACA500+ does) or does it only copy the physical ROM for faster access and performance?

If the answer is yes, is there a guide/tutorial aboout it?

I apologize if this has been asked before.

Thanks in advance.

• Is it possible to load/write a different ROM (Namely 3.1.4) to the card and use it instead of the one that's physically installed on the board (Namely 3.x)? (Similar to what ACA500+ does) or does it only copy the physical ROM for faster access and performance?

Both is possible: If you just want the physical ROM to be copied into the reserved memory space, this can be persisted in the flash of the card, so it'll happen on power-up before the startup-sequence is executed. If you want to load a ROM image from harddisk, the computer will execute a reboot on a fresh power-up.

is there a guide/tutorial aboout it?

ACAtool has a GUI that's pretty much self-explanatory. It will do the required modifications to your startup-sequence, so if you don't feel confident editing that file, there's no need to worry.

• Thanks Jens.

I'll fiddle with it when I find some time. Just one more question, if I modify it to use a different ROM, will it stay there forever (until I change it) and load that ROM every time I turn on the Amiga? I'm guessing it will boot normally and automatically restart and load the ROM file to the flash. So it will boot twice each time I power it on but soft reset will not be affected.

• Just one more question, if I modify it to use a different ROM, will it stay there forever (until I change it) and load that ROM every time I turn on the Amiga?

Only if you let it: The ACAtool has a "skip on left mouse button" option that lets keeps it from loading the new ROM if you keep the left mouse button pressed during boot.

So it will boot twice each time I power it on but soft reset will not be affected.

Correct - a soft reset will keep the mapped ROM in place, but on a power-cycle, a re-boot will be executed, adding 4-5 seconds to the power-up time.

• That means do I need to modify startup file manually?

No, not at all. The ACAtool does that for you - it's completely transparent for the user. You won't notice if a setting is stored in the flash rom of the accelerator, or in the startup-sequence.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.