Help regarding the use and correct configuration with the AGA MK2 Config Tool

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi everyone,

I am seeking assistance in understanding and correctly setting up the settings in the AGA MK2 Config tool. I read through the provided documentaiton but still, to be honest I have no Idea how to use this tool.

First, this is my configuration:

Monitor: Flatroom W2600HP (16:10) - https://www.prad.de/technische…blatt/lg-flatron-w2600hp/

Installed Monitor Devices: PAL, HighGfx, HD720, XTREME

My current AGA MK2 Config Tool Configuration: (dropbox link removed)

The above configuration was the result of some playing around with the tool. However, I am not sure how it works. On the left side is a list of all the different monitor devices and the ones I have currently installed in Devs:\Monitors (PAL, HighGfx, HD720 and XTREME) can also be found here. On the right side is a list of different screen resolutions and refresh rates. I selected HighGfx on the left side and then 1024x768x60 on the right side and hit apply.

In workbench the AGA MK2 currently switches to this resolution (HighGfx 1024x768), which looks ok except that the icons (glowicons) look a bit narrow/stretched. During bootup and when booting games the AGA switches to PAL 800x600 which looks ok, but I am not sure if its the best option? There are some borders on the top/bottom and left/right, but I guess thats normal. I think there is still "room" on all sides that could be used to scale the image larger. Also I have noticed that later in the boot up sequence, just before it switches to the workbench screen, the AGA shortly switches to another resolution that is very small and narrow.

Thanks for any help. I tried to include as much information about my setup as possible, because I dont understand this topic very well.

• Please don't use DropBox - I don't like their impossible-to-understand (and therefore potentially unsecure) JavaScript.

I selected HighGfx on the left side and then 1024x768x60 on the right side and hit apply.

Why choose such a low output resolution for HighGFX, if the Amiga-output is even higher than that? Your monitor has a 1920x1200 panel, so I'd choose a higher resolution, at least 1280x1024.

Borders left and right are indeed normal, as your display is 16:10, where the Amiga mostly outputs 4:3 ratio. There may be a setting in your monitor that either stretches the picture, or adds black borders left and right. The stock config (which is also in the latest config tool archive) is geared towards a 1280x1024 display. You might want to re-download the tool, re-install it and then initiate "reflash all" from the drop-down menu to apply that config.

Black borders on top and bottom don't have to be - that's what the config tool is for. However, we need to find out if it's the monitor or the flicker fixer that introduces them.

"Scaling" is nothing that Indivision AGA MK2(cr) can support. It's a plain flicker fixer and frame buffer only. Only the forthcoming Indivision AGA MK3 has a built-in scaler.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.