Lyra v3 not working

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi there!

I have just bought a Lyra v3 for my A2000, and I can't seem to find out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using a Logitech Deluxe keyboard, and an amazon-bought ps2 to DIN adapter.

My A2000 seems to be working ok with its original keyboard, but the ps2 keyboard connected with the lyra and the adaptor does nothing. A2000 boots perfectly ok, but no keyboard input, no matters what.

The ps2 keyboard seems to be working ok in a pc, so probably the fault is in the ps2 to DIN adaptor, or the lyra itself. Will check the adaptor. What should be the correct pin correspondence? in the other hand, any further check that I can do to know what its going wrong?

Thanks!!

• Ok, problem seems so to be solved now. The adapter I bought is shit. I don't know what kind of conversion is this adaptor intended to do, but not the one needed for the lyra. I "dissasembled" (ripped it appart), and discovered it only had two cables and a metal shielding (that was not connecting the ground shieldings, but another two pins). I just cutted all the cable off, and soldered 5 wires as they should be (I found a pinout around in the internet). Now lyra is working ok.

So, as a final word, don't buy the adapter that I referenced in amazon in my first post. Its just bullshit. Better buy the headers and make one yourself, or try another adapter.

• I have removed the links, as they do not add to readability. Amazon sells a lot of bad stuff, even Amiga power supplies that violate the Commodore specifications, so my general recommendation is to stay with the "real Amiga dealers" who have been providing the market with good products for years (although the bad PSU part is true for some of them as well - just as if it's MeanWell-based - if so, AVOID).

• Hi.

It seems I may have a similar problem:

I bought a Lyra3 + PS/2=>DIN adaptor from Amigakit on April 2021 and since I received my items I was never able to get the Lyra3 working.

My PS/2 keyboard works fine, my Amiga keyboard works fine (except a few keys, that's why I bought a Lyra 3) and even I can get my PS/2 keyword to work on Amiga using a third party "PS/2 to Amiga" device found on eBay (except a few keys because I use a French AZERTY keyboard, that's why I eventually bought a Lyra 3.

If I understand well, the issue may come from the PS/2=>DIN adaptor (which could be a PC PS/2=>DIN adaptor and not an AMIGA compliant adaptor). For the record it is a single "one piece" adaptor, not a short cable.

Assuming the adaptor is faulty (or inaccurate) could someone give me a link to buy a suitable adaptor please ?

• A PC-geared adapter for connecting a mini-DIN keyboard to a standard-sized DIN will be OK - the pinout is the same.

Is this an A2000 or an A3000?

Let's start from the beginning: Does the keyboard get power when connected to Lyra3? Does the Caps LED toggle if you press caps lock?

• Hi Jens.

Thanks for trying to help me.

The computer is A2000.

I didn't try again since I received and tested the hardware I received from Amigakit.

Here is what I wrote to the website when I wanted to declare an issue with the product:

Once connected to the Amiga 2000 using Lyra 3, the 3 "green lights" of the keyboard light up the go out when I switch on the Amiga 2000 and that's all. The keyboard is not responding and issuing the <Left-Shift>+<Pause> key combination doesn't make any thing (although one of the green lights is supposed to blink).

I however don't recall if pressing "Caps Lock" has an effect but I think the answer is "NO".
    I'll can setup the A2000 this week-end to perform some new test and give you an actual feedback if needed.

JihemB

• If you have a spare PS2 keyboard to try, that would be interesting. Lights coming up confirms that power and ground connections are OK. I'd have to check the source code of Lyra to see if it's waiting for the Amiga to do something, but from memory, I'm pretty sure that Amiga communication and PS2 communication runs concurrent, and keyboard init should work in parallel to whatever is happening on the Amiga side. The "l-Shift-Pause" combination should even work while the Amiga-side is in re-sync mode.

Let's see if a different keyboard makes a difference.

• Hi Jens.

Good news "a different keyboard makes a difference" !

I borrowed 2 PS/2 keyboards from a friend and, YES they both work with Lyra 3 :-).

The thing is : Why I can't get Lyra 3 works with my DELL PS/2 keyboard although this one works fine with a PC ?

Next step : Trying to find another DELL PS/2 keyboard at my office basement to see if only mine has this issue or all.

I'll keep you updated.

PS : I will re-read the dedicated page on icomp.de but is there an easy way to reprogram each key so it can match its label ?

(I mean getting a / if I press / ... etc....

• The thing is : Why I can't get Lyra 3 works with my DELL PS/2 keyboard although this one works fine with a PC ?

Counter question: Is this a real PS2 keyboard, or a combined USB/PS2 keyboard? If it's the latter, how do you try it with a PC? On a USB or a PS2 connector?

is there an easy way to reprogram each key so it can match its label ?

Not truly easy - it's a command line tool, and you need to edit a text file that is later parsed by that tool. With Lyra3, I have introduced something that nobody has ever done before on an Amiga: I have reversed the data direction on the keyboard port. The tool for re-programming the key map of Lyra3 can be found in Aminet - link to Thomas Richter's Lyra3 tool is also available in the Wiki. For protection against changing anything against your will, you need to enable writing through a key combination first.

• Hi Jens.

All the keyboard I tested so far are genuine PS/2 keyboards.

I tested all first using an old WIndows XP Athlon FX64 computer fitted with a PS/2 keyboard socket.

So, now some new interesting results: Today I came back from office with a set of 6 Dell PS/2 AZERTY keyboards, 5 of them with the same formfactor as the one I already have and which fails with Lyra 3.

I started with the keyboard I borrowed to my friend (as mentionned in my previous message) and everything worked flawlessly as it did last time.

Then I started to test one by one the "new" Dell keyboards.

Strangely the first 4 keyboards worked fine (I hotplug the keyboard on Lyra 3 without swiching off the Amiga 2000, is it bad ?).

While I was testing fine the fith keyboard, suddenly the green lights (CAPS LOCK, NUM LOCK, ...) switched off and the keyboard was no longer responding ! I then tried to connect one by one the previous 4 keyboards but none of them worked !!

I plugged the keyboard from my friend which already worked fine but each time I tried to connect one of the Dell keyboards, it fails.

I keep trying mixing connections of "my friend's keyboard" and "Dell keyboards". From time to time, randomly, Dell keyboards seem to working fine again as if connecting "my friend's keyboard" resync something.

With one of them especially when I connect it no CAPS LOCK/NUM LOCK lights up ... until I hit one key ! No to mention, this keyboard has a little different form factor compared with the others (but is also a DELL Keyboard).

Thanks for the link to Thomas page, I'll have a look to it shortly.

• (I hotplug the keyboard on Lyra 3 without swiching off the Amiga 2000, is it bad ?).

Lyra3 attempts to deal with hot-plugging by monitoring the PS2 data stream constantly for the "BAT", the "basic assurance test" sequence. However, there are no electrical provisions for hot-plugging, so a power-hungry keyboard may make the MCU within Lyra3 crash, so even if it's working in most of the cases, it's not a guaranteed/advertised feature.

The problems you're describing sound very much like contact problems - as if the connectors aren't fully inserted, and if you're moving cables/connectors, thing change. Note that these mini-DIN connectors require quite some force to be fully inserted - much more than the big DIN connectors. If you're a careful user, this may already be your main source of problems.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.