Possible future Indivision with RTG?

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens, do you have any plans to create/update the Indivision AGA with RTG graphics? Just wondering if you have seen any interest to spur such development/R&D costs? There is currently no viable way to add RTG to the 1200, and I know at least I would be willing to pay good money for such an integrated solution. Just wondering, as I've made the recommended fix to my motherboard to make the higher-res AGA modes working good, and they are, but they are really painfully slow.

Sorry if this is not the right forum...

• For an RTG system at least a 040 is recommended (better 060).

A base A1200 with 020 or 030 is too slow.

If you are looking for an RTG system you should turn to a Mediator to be inserted in a Tower, as well as buy a 040/060 accelerator.

• For an RTG system at least a 040 is recommended (better 060).

A base A1200 with 020 or 030 is too slow.

If you are looking for an RTG system you should turn to a Mediator to be inserted in a Tower, as well as buy a 040/060 accelerator.

Not sure I understand. The idea behind RTG is to off-load the hi-res graphics handling to a much faster solution than custom chips. If my A1200 can drive 1280x1024 with AGA graphics, it can certainly do it with an RTG card. Why would I need an an 040/060? Picasso96 requirements are 020, and there are plenty of old RTG cards that used Zorro II slots and worked with mild accelerators.

• Try to use a 1280 x 1024 @ 256 colors screen on AGA with a simple 020/030.

RTG speed up the graphic system but it requires a good CPU too.

I own an A1200 Tower with Blizzard PPC 240/060 + BVision / 256MB Ram.

I have also kept a Mediator with Voodoo 3/2000 for testing purposes.

• On my A1200 desktop with Blizzard 1230/ACA1233 - OS 3.1.4 I use a standard PAL 640 x 512 @ 64 colors screen.

If I bring 256 colors it slows down everything.

Imagine with a bigger resolution screen.

• RTG works nicely on A2000 systems with 68030@25MHz and 3.5MB/second performance to the framebuffer, so CPU requirements are rather low. Further, if there's some 2D acceleration and hardware-sprite for the mouse pointer, P96 can really shine - one of the reasons that we've acquired ownership of P96.

DanyPPC, your observation of slowing down standard screens with 256 colours is correct. However, that's not due to the larger amount of colours, but due to the extremely reduced bandwidth available to the CPU. The effect practically accelerates itself, because by increasing colour depth, you not only increase the amount of data that the CPU must handle, but you also reduce bandwidth at the same time. This does not happen on a properly-designed RTG solution.

Integrating RTG with the Indivision series is not a plan, but an RTG card would have to be integrated with the Indivision output, so a single monitor can be used for both. I do have ideas, but no actual design path, as there's other things that need to fit the A1200 as well. Space inside an A1200 desktop is scarce!

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.