1M Chip RAM expanion no longer available on ACA500plus

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • I've flashed the firmware of my ACA500plus to v0.217. This was the first time I flashed the firmware since I got it in 2016.

I used to be able to make the 1M Chip RAM available, but that no longer works.

Does anyone have a clue about what could me causing this?

I have an ECS Agnus and Denise. I have a 2MB ram expansion in the trap door that gets recognized.

• Hmmm, I read the wiki and it says that the 1M Chip Ram option is only available if you have a ram expansion of exactly 512k. This must be a new requirement, because with the older firmware it worked just fine.

I guess that now I have to make more expenses for less ram. Sigh, I know that this hobby is never ending, but this is quite frustrating.

Another option is to downgrade the firmware, but I didn't make a backup of the older version. So unless I can get it somewhere, I guess I'm screwed.

• Hmmm, I read the wiki and it says that the 1M Chip Ram option is only available if you have a ram expansion of exactly 512k. This must be a new requirement, because with the older firmware it worked just fine.

This requirement is not new - it was there ever since the feature was introduced in 2013 with the first ACA500. If some firmware is offering the ChipMap feature although the trapdoor expansion is not exactly 512k, it must have been a bug (although we have not gotten any report about this - probably because people didn't activate it, or found that the system is not stable with the combination).

What you can try is to remove the Gary-adapter that makes the expansion 2M. If the expansion is built with some common sense, it should automatically downgrade to 512k, and you won't have more expenses.

• Thank you for your suggestion. I tried removing the Gary-adapter, but then the board is not recognized at all.

So, I got my hands on a regular 512Kb expansion which also has a RTC and all is well again.

Chances are good that I will find somebody who's interested in the 2MB expansion, so that it will be a cost neutral affair.

I'm still loving the ACA500plus by the way! I'm awaiting the new IndivisionECS to have even more fun with my old Amiga 500. And who knows, if I'm lucky I'll even add an accelerator and an X-surf to it.

• I'm still loving the ACA500plus by the way! I'm awaiting the new IndivisionECS to have even more fun with my old Amiga 500. And who knows, if I'm lucky I'll even add an accelerator and an X-surf to it.

The ACA500+ is awesome. I have the ACE-2 2MB chip upgrade, along with aca500+, aca1221ec, RTC, and X-Surf 500, along with Indivision ECS. Running WB3.1.4 KS3.1.4 @ 42MHz (passive cooling) in PAL hires 8 colors, and the machine works like a charm.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • :(
    • ;)
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • 8o
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :/
    • :S
    • X/
    • 8)
    • ?(
    • :huh:
    • :rolleyes:
    • :love:
    • 8|
    • :cursing:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :whistling:
    • :evil:
    • :saint:
    • <3
    Marks thread as resolved after post creation.