Bricked/dead aca500+

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Hi there,

Last year april I bought a aca500 plus card from someone else selling on an ebay like site (the dutch marktplaats)

It is one of the 2nd batch with big gizmo.

Until yesterday it has always worked fine on my amiga 500 plus.

Yesterday however, while everything was running (so no upside down placement) all of sudden poof, everything was bricked and the amiga was just showing a greyish screen.

When I take the aca out, my amiga works fine, but when I plug in the aca, just the grey screen.

This happens also on my regular amiga500, so the amiga's aren't the problem, they take AR mk3 or A590 without problems on the side extension port.

The aca card itself doesn't seem to do anyhing anymore. All that happens upon powering on is a quick flash of gizmo and a quick purple flash from the led simultaniously.

Th amiga's won't boot, the freezer button doesn't initate any action whatsoever nor does booting with mouse pressed.

Upon removing the card I notice that on the connector side, looking from it on top on the upper side where the three little copper holes are in the pcb, it seems to be getting quite warm/hot. Now maybe this is always so, but this is the first time I noticed.

The person I bought it from didn't provide me with the original invoice unfortunately, however, as it's from the second batch, it's from november 18 at it's oldest.

So now I'm, apart from very sad, really wondering what I can do.

Could you please help me move further from here ?

Best regards,

Paul

• All that happens upon powering on is a quick flash of gizmo and a quick purple flash from the led simultaniously.

Can you take the card into de-brick mode by pressing and holding the DisMo button?

Another interesting detail is ALWAYS the power supply: What model are you using?

• Hi there and tnx 4 the quick reply.

As to the psu's, there originals which have always worked fine and still do.

When I hold the Dismo button a 0 with blincking 'underscore' appear on the display.

Is that a good sign and if so, where to go from there?

• When I hold the Dismo button a 0 with blincking 'underscore' appear on the display.

Is that a good sign and if so, where to go from there?

Good sign, as that means that the DisMo still works and tells the rest of the setup to go into de-brick mode. When you see the blinking, execute a keyboard reset. The computer should start as if there is no accelerator connected.

• Hi there and again tnx 4 the quick reply.

Unfortunately when the amiga is started with the card in I can 't get to the KS screen. When I power on with Dismo pressed and the blincking starts, ctrlAA doesn't do anything. So all I can tell is that it gets to the blincking point and all that can/will alter is that if I press Dismo again, the blincking stops and if I insert my fat32 cd card in the aux slot while Dismo is blincking the white data led of the aux slot starts blincking very fast. I have upd500.adf in root directory (I didn't empty the card though). When I power on with the fat32 card in aux slot allready it doesn't seem to differ from powering on without the cf card in regardless of pressing Dismo or not.

• Looks like this one needs service - if you want to give that a try, please send it. Please don't forget to include a letter describing the exact problem - don't refer to this forum, as it's always a time-consuming search-game for my employees.

• Hi Jens,

I was affaid it might, but what's needed is needed.

Is there somewhere where i can find the procedure,

and what about me having no invoice ?

Is there sill warranty ?

Maybe you can mail me the details?

• Is there sill warranty ?

European warranty applies: It's two years, where the "reversal of the burden pf proof" is happening after six months. This means that you need to prove that an error has been in the device had the defect you're observing when it was shipped. Since you confirmed that it was working fine for over a year, you already excluded the possibility that the defect was in the unit when it was shipped.

Further, warranty needs to be transferred from the original owner to the new owner - this can be done on a form-less paper, just with a signature from the original owner. That should be standard procedure - however not requried in this case, as you've already confirmed that the defect was NOT in the unit when it was shipped.

We don't have a special procedure for sending back items for service. Just include a letter that clearly states what to do with the accelerator, so it's not a tedious search-game for my employees. "as discussed in the forum" won't do :-)

Please use the company address - we only have that one.

• Hi there Jens,

It has been a crazy couple off days here and I was still wanting to inform you here that I posted the card Saturday.

To my surprise I just received mail from you that the card was repaired allready.

Now that's really fast.

I have some specific questions/remarks that I will pick up via mail with you and are of no interest for the forum, but I have to say here wow....the service is even quicker than the cards. That's great.

Have a great day,

Paul

• Hi there Jens...unfortunately DHL wasn't prepared to cooperate in your gbowr attempt at fastest service ever, but yesterday after some calls and mailing with DHL, everything arrived in good order.

And yes you made me smile Jens by what I found I the box :'D.... I wanted to report back hereimmediately, but as I also ordered the new stuff to come with it I naturally got distracted testing my new babies while sipping from my coffee mug :D

Tnx for the fast service and keep up the good work...

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.