CDRom use on Buddha 20 year anniversary edition

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Jens,

I have a few spare SATA CDRom drives lying around the house (who needs these nowadays)?

I've downloaded pretty much every Amiga CD Rom that's freely available on the 'Net (Aminet collection, etc ...)

So I figure, let me put one of these CDRom on my Amiga. I happen to have a spare IDE to SATA converter which works fine since I tested it on the Buddha using a SATA SSD.

My situation....

When I plug in the CDRom to one of the IDE 'ports' of the Buddha, the hard drive no longer boots (the insert disk screen appears).

Any ideas as to why this is so? I would give this a try with an IDE cd-rom, but I don't happen to have one.

Can you explain what the boot sequence is. Thank-you.

(I just realized, there are a couple of local surplus computer shops nearby. They pick up a lot of inventory from companies who are disposing of their old computers or individuals that want to toss out their old stuff. One fellow was nice enough to give me a SATA-33 IDE cable for nothing. I guess I can pick up a used IDE cdrom for next to nothing and give it a try).

• When I plug in the CDRom to one of the IDE 'ports' of the Buddha, the hard drive no longer boots (the insert disk screen appears).

I've had a similar situation with a DVD IDE drive that just blocks the bus - that's simply a hardware error on the DVD drive's side. Although your IDE-SATA adapter might be OK with a PC, it doesn't mean that it's ATA-X3T9 compliant.

Further, you need to make sure that this IDE-SATA adapter is the correct direction: Some adapters are only for installing IDE devices on a SATA controller, but not the other way round. This is the most common problem when trying to use SATA devices in the Buddha controller.

• I have some experience with these... The SATA device does not have a way to set it up as the primary or secondary device. IDE is designed to handle 2 devices, so unless you can set them, any adapter won't work reliably. Your best bet is to go spend $15-20 and get an actual IDE cdrom drive. There are thousands of them out there, as they used to be heavily used in server farms, let alone nearly every pc of the time had one in it.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.