ACA500 Plus Problems

Caution: Non registered users only see threads and messages in the currently selected language, which is determined by their browser. Please create an account and log in to see all content by default. This is a limitation of the forum software.

Also users that are not logged in can not create new threads. This is a, unfortunately needed, counter measure against spam. Please create an account and log in to start new threads.

Don't Panic. Please wash hands.
  • Thought i would start my own thread not hijack someone else's thread and will upload pics as soon as i can

i have a second hand aca500 plus

it was got after being plugged in upside down bot thanks to Jens explaining diffrence between v1 and v2 boards i have it up and running as one of the resistors of shame was blown and is now bridged till my replacement 22r 0603 resistors arrive.

i have ordered replacement compact flash sockets from Jens site as the ones for this board are missing so will have an attempt at repairing them as a lot of the pads are missing so ive ordered some .02 gage enameled wire to make bridge connections.

• tried to take some pics but there way to large to post here.

Ive re-fitted the 22r resistor and the aca500 plus has its protection back and i still have 9 spare just waiting to the enameled wire and cf slots to see if they can be fixed.

• Jens

Ive received the cf sockets today and i have a question about the aca500 plus, would you have a schismatic so i can trace where all the ripped off pads go to as i will need to bridge a lot of points from the to ic's or via's etc and its going to take a extremely long time but if you have a schismatic it would cut the time down drastically is there any help you could give me?.

• Schematics won't help you as much as a layout :-) Please find a screenshot from the CAD program.

tried to take some pics but there way to large to post here.

Re-sizing and reducing JPG quality is a good idea. "Irfanview" on Windows does a good job on this: load the pic, mark the new frame with the mouse, press CTRL-Y to make that the new pic, then CTRL-R, enter the new resolution (for example 1000 pixels on the X-axis), then save with 65% JPG quality and ideally no EXIF data. This will give you significantly smaller-sized web-compatible pictures.

The attached one is even a lossless format (png), but only has just over 70k because I have reduced the colour depth. You should learn to do the same - there's no use in sending megabytes of pictures through the internet when 100k will contain the same amount of usable information.

• Jens, thank you so much for that as its exactly what i was looking for as pin 3 from left of the left cf sockets runs under the ic and i can now see where its gong.

thank you so much for that

• I can't believe its happened to me - but I must have my name added to the resistors of shame. In a fit of absentmindedness, I plugged in my ACA500plus upside down whilst fitting it into my Checkpoint 1500 case.

I notice that others have ordered replacement resistors and 'bridged' the faulty resistor until it arrives. Can someone help point me in the right direction as to which resistor has blown, so I can bridge it and then what the process is to order new resistors please?

*EDIT* I Think I have the older ACA500 Plus with the Smaller DisMo, so I guess I'll need to send it back in for repair :-(

Thanks,

Darren

• *EDIT* I Think I have the older ACA500 Plus with the Smaller DisMo, so I guess I'll need to send it back in for repair :-(

Correct - the version with small DisMo does not have the "resistors of shame" and protection diodes. They were added later, when the first support cases already happened. The "usual damage" is that the 9572 CPLD is dead and the two chips on the DisMo are dead. We'll exchange the whole DisMo and the CPLD, then check if anything else suffered damage. So far, other support cases have shown that it's only these components, but you never know what else might happen, especially since the Checkmate 1500 case has that ill-fated power concept.

Please read the article about returning things to us.

• It's here, but the person who will be doing the repair is very busy with implementing a new shipping carrier into our shipping system. I'll have him slip that in later this week.

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.